Hello!

Sevilon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am a teacher in Colorado, who has had fresh water aquariums of a variety of sizes for about 25 years. My favorite one was a 75 gallon filled with live plants and two Gold Face Compressiceps, who bred in the tank. :)
Last year I saw a Kickstarter campaign for The Jellyfish Tank, and backed it. I have always wanted to try a saltwater tank, but have been nervous about it, and thought this might be a good introduction!
I did all of the research I could, and when I received the tank, I cycled it and then added 3 small Moon jellyfish. They did well in general, but the pump that came with the tank seemed to not function well, and the jellies kept getting stuck to the tank's spray bar, which was supposed to keep them circulating inside of the tank. I reached out to the company for help, heard nothing, so lowered the water level below the spray bar so they would stop getting stuck to it. The water level being low caused the water flow in the tank to diminish a bit, and the 3 jellies disappeared over 3 days. I am quite sure they were unfortunately sucked into the filtration and shredded and killed. :(

With some experimentation, I have found that a new pump and some careful positioning of the new pump has helped, and I have now had 3 more jellies for almost 5 weeks. The tank is inside of my early childhood special education classroom, and the students love the jellyfish! So do I. It has been a great learning experience.

Reading through the forums, I am overwhelmed by how different salt water seems from the freshwater tanks I am used to! But I am hoping to learn lots, and maybe eventually branch out to a larger saltwater tank. I may not post often, but I will be reading often.
Thanks for the resource!

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R!
welcome12_af875eaa887ed91c39e4c81c7d4fd966-0ed06ab93ea565647147c6beddbca4eb.gif
giphy.gif
#WelcometoR2R

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 7 19.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 1 2.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 4 11.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 22 61.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 5.6%
Back