Help! 0 nitrates and almost 0 phosphate

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! I was water changes every 2 weeks but changed to once a month in august. I should have added corals slowly and tested more, my fault. I’ll stay away from carbon dosing as well. Thanks for the help
I did the same early on and learned the hard way how important nutrients are to the reef.

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you! Should I also get biofuel just incase? I’m also going to buy the Hanna nitrate tester hr, already have the phosphate ulr and it’s so nice to have
Nice choice of testers….I’d just bump both my N and P up when they start to decrease, sometimes just a dose or two seems to stop the slide for months. I shoot to maintain a consistent 10ppm nitrate and .1ppm phosphate.
Like Neo nitro and neo phos, was easy to implement.

Ober_Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How it's dissolved and suspended carbohydrates, amino acids, fatty acids and vitamins how does that work similar to how nitrates and phosphates go?
How would it not add nutrients to the water column? I’m not sure I understand the confusion here.

Last edited:

thatmanMIKEson

Reefing ain't easy$
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How would it not add nutrients to the water column? I’m not sure I understand the confusion here.
it dosnt have strait nitrates and phosphates in it.

Thats just a back and forth thread no information there but a bunch of opinions. im not confused or saying anything is wrong with ab+ i use it, but its not the same as adding neophos and neonitro, thats all i was getting at.

Ober_Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
it dosnt have strait nitrates and phosphates in it.

Thats just a back and forth thread no information there but a bunch of opinions. im not confused or saying anything is wrong with ab+ i use it, but its not the same as adding neophos and neonitro, thats all i was getting at.
Yeah I agree but I would think the end result should definitely be an increase in nutrients in a low nutrient system as others mentioned in that thread. I also use it and definitely notice and increase in nitrates after dosing. My only point is it took me a combination of dosing Neophos and NeoNitro, decrease in water changes, and increasing in feeding of fish and coral to finally get my nutrients up. I think like a lot of things in this hobby it would probably take time and trying out different things to see what while work. That is not to say I think going wild with it is a good idea, I tried a combination of these things slowly along with daily testing to get to the end result of having increased nutrients and I still have some tinkering to do to find the exact rhythm. I‘m just this is what worked for me this time.

One side note….. I have raised nutrients before with solely neophos and neonitro and it took a little while to get there. I tested every day for a week or so and continued to get zeros on both nitrate and phosphate until one day both showed nutrients within range. In my opinion knowing the tank inhabitants will more than likely continue to increase in number and grow focusing on some habitual things instead of just dosing to increase nutrients is a good way to go about it.

Lots of variables in play and all tanks a different though.

sixty_reefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Confusing thread that requires simple actions.
all it’s required is some calcium nitrate or sodium nitrate to raise nitrates safely and try sodium phosphate.

all other products mentioned will have different outcomes, due to unknown variables.

neonitro for example is a source of organic nitrogen forms and can be easily assimilated by organisms in the tank before a reading of nitrates appear. Ex. Algae

Red Sea AB+ Also contains carbohydrates that will become sugars and lower nutrients

thatmanMIKEson

Reefing ain't easy$
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Confusing thread that requires simple actions.
all it’s required is some calcium nitrate or sodium nitrate to raise nitrates safely and try sodium phosphate.

all other products mentioned will have different outcomes, due to unknown variables.

neonitro for example is a source of organic nitrogen forms and can be easily assimilated by organisms in the tank before a reading of nitrates appear. Ex. Algae

Red Sea AB+ Also contains carbohydrates that will become sugars and lower nutrients
Yes well said!

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 132 88.0%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 6.0%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 4.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.0%
Back