Help! 40 breeder leaked all over floor

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
that's wonderful. that's a lot of time and money on the line, plus you had to factor in residential damage, loss of furniture if wooden legs are sitting in saltwater really that was a juggling act with a sharp outcome. thank you for those pics!

OP
OP
hawk82

hawk82

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For refence here is a pic of the tank before the leak. You can see it had alot more coralline.

DSCN05763.jpg

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
fantastic before and afters. readers can see how your tank still retains its biomass and aging markers but looks laser laser clean now, all those spaces are opened, filtration has boosted due to re exposed surface area, and the corals are set to take on feed now and that will specifically help to prevent stress bleaching

to feed well is making use of the clean pores now for protein readiness/pass through from renewed feeding corals and pods/worms/benthic creatures.

a dinos invasion can't beat this either: handy rip clean roadmap should future invasions fail to respond to dosers or param changes.

OP
OP
hawk82

hawk82

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
fantastic before and afters. readers can see how your tank still retains its biomass and aging markers but looks laser laser clean now, all those spaces are opened, filtration has boosted due to re exposed surface area, and the corals are set to take on feed now and that will specifically help to prevent stress bleaching

to feed well is making use of the clean pores now for protein readiness/pass through from renewed feeding corals and pods/worms/benthic creatures.

a dinos invasion can't beat this either: handy rip clean roadmap should future invasions fail to respond to dosers or param changes.
I have a slight dusting of diatoms on the sand along the front, It was super white after rinsing it. Is that anything to worry over, or should it clear up on its on? Everything else seems fine, fish are happy and eating, corals are out.

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd just siphon up and hand guide, we had to upwell some nutrients along the way here this was a rip roaring flip ride :) I think its common diatoms or mild cyano etc, siphon it on out with a few gallons water don't let anything amass.

*live rocks exude whole pellet waste, the animals within we can see during any sitting interval in a white paint bucket of saltwater. once we cleaned the rocks off and moved over, they may express even faster for a while and capitalists will take what's newly offered in the tank. run lighting lower than norm, kind of like a ramp up cycle it wont harm any corals to be less intensity for a week than normal. not a huge overall cut but a little % off the top for ten days, ideal.

OP
OP
hawk82

hawk82

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just thought I should update. The little diatoms on the sand went away on their own. Everything else is doing fine, fish and corals act like nothing happen. I never did add any bottled bacteria or anything else to the tank, other then just refilling with fresh saltwater and adding the rocks back.
DSCN060611111.jpg
DSCN061311111.jpg
DSCN061411111.jpg
DSCN061511111.jpg

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This belongs in the rip clean top five because of your updates and very quick execution with no planning. You did immediate unplanned surgery and made the system thrive, well done crash arrest and pics to help us get feedback on steps used

Uzidaisies

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't want to bum you out but 6 towels doesn't have anywhere near the capacity to pull up 20 gallons of water from a carpet.

I would hire a professional carpet cleaning company to come out and do water removal.

Or you could go to pick up a SHOPVAC and do a make shift water pull up yourself, but be prepared to sit in one spot for hours.

Anything soaked in saltwater smells awful. you want it all out.
Agree with this.

Celestion

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
dam it the 40 gallon reef , add center brace of some sort , even plastic welder and a 3in uv resistant strip helps , keep it tight with a construction clamp , as we know the glass 40 is paper thin .

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 1 2.4%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 31 75.6%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 6 14.6%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 2 4.9%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 1 2.4%
Back