Help a newb with an AquaC Urchin Pro question?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Eel Steve
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

Eel Steve

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Jul 8, 2015
Messages
149
Reaction score
40
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all,

72g w 30/sump FOWLR. Melanarus, 2 damsels, diamond goby.

I *was* using a Coralife Super Skimmer 125. I hated it, as it's a terrible thing that I would wish upon no one.

A local reefer sold me an AquaC Urchin Pro, sans pump, for 20 bucks. I had to buy a new O-ring from AquaC, and I bought a Mag Pump 3 for it. No venturi, as I emailed the company and they said I don't need one - just hook up stock Mag Pump 3 to flex tubing on back of Urchin, and good to go.

So I put this on almost 24 hours ago and it's been running, but it isn't doing anything really yet.

I flashed a light to see if I could see inside, and a jet is hitting the water, but I can't tell if it's supposed to be stronger, and NO foam is being produced - well the tiniest amount, but it isnt rising or anything.

This is *not* a NEW unit, it was used, and had a bunch of salt on it, so it was in actual use in a system for a while.

Does this need more break in time, or do I need to take that screw out of the water jet thingie and try to clean it? I'll post a pic in a sec too that may or may not be useful or useless.
 
12049264_10100765730152811_1405626471326314844_n[1].jpg
 
Kind of hard to see but it looks like there's barely any bubbles being made.
 
Isn't there supposed to be an air venturi on the skimmer??
There has to be a way to inject air :-)
 
Venturis are only for venturi skimmers......Spray injection works via a different method. Air is mixed with the water via a strong stream of water being sprayed into a holding area. The air is mixed by the stream impact.

Taken from the aquac site, imagine putting your thumb over the end of a hose and spraying it in a bucket of soapy water.

Consequently I've gotten it working now - I just had to run a pipe cleaner through the injection spray nozzle. Some calcium or salt buildup came out. Bam, shooting foam all over now.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 5 4.0%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 10 7.9%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 24 19.0%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 39 31.0%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 0.8%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 10 7.9%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 10 7.9%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 18 14.3%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 9 7.1%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new