Help a noob with Calcium

JayFish4004

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Trying to figure out if I should be dosing/monitoring calcium and have a few questions:

1. in an LPS & fish 20g nano tank that getsbiweekly water changes - should I still consider dosing calcium?

2. What do I need to watch out for? Is dosing calcium the same as other elements like ph where too much will shock my fish and corals?

3. What is the harm to not dosing calcium?

4. What about magnesium?

Snoopy 67

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Magnesium is important because it holds the balance between calcium & alkalinity.
With only 20 gallons dosing 2 part is the preferred method.
LPS are more forgiving than SPS & water changes should suffice.
Testing should confirm your values.

OP
OP
JayFish4004

JayFish4004

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Magnesium is important because it holds the balance between calcium & alkalinity.
With only 20 gallons dosing 2 part is the preferred method.
LPS are more forgiving than SPS & water changes should suffice.
Testing should confirm your values.
Can you explain what dosing 2 part means?

when you say water changes should suffice - do you mean I may not need to dose calcium if Im doing water changes?

Snoopy 67

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes water changes could be enough.
2 part is a container of calcium & a container of alkalinity.

DrZoidburg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Biweekly water changes could be enough. In the long run it will keep getting slightly lower and lower from target number. Look at @PeterB113 His tank just water changes. Though I suspect his will need something soon :) Also yes too much of anything is bad. The amount to be bad with calcium is much higher though.

OP
OP
JayFish4004

JayFish4004

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Biweekly water changes could be enough. In the long run it will keep getting slightly lower and lower from target number. Look at @PeterB113 His tank just water changes. Though I suspect his will need something soon :) Also yes too much of anything is bad. The amount to be bad with calcium is much higher though.
Okay perfect - I bought a Hanna checker - so essentially once my coral get to a point where they are dropping calcium below optimal is when I start worrying about dosing? Or is it solely based on replenishing the exact amount consumed regardless of where the levels are at pre and post wc?

I’m a little confused on the alkalinity part - is dosing that done to offset the drop calcium would cause if I only dosed calcium? My alk is 9.7 so feel like it’s pretty solid, and it’d scare me to not be able to control one or the other.

DrZoidburg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@JayFish4004 It is best to stay at stable levels. I like to get it as close to what is being used. Need testing to determine this. Depending on which additives you use. Water changes replace both. 2 part though for example. Dose calcium, and alkalinity goes down. Dose Alkalinity , and calcium goes down. The trick is to get balanced doses. It will stay pretty stable that way when balanced. With "1 part additives" its a lot easier.

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Trying to figure out if I should be dosing/monitoring calcium and have a few questions:

1. in an LPS & fish 20g nano tank that getsbiweekly water changes - should I still consider dosing calcium?

2. What do I need to watch out for? Is dosing calcium the same as other elements like ph where too much will shock my fish and corals?

3. What is the harm to not dosing calcium?

4. What about magnesium?
Whats your numbers and what is the usage rate. Most tanks water changes are good enough for the first year but every tank is different.
It would really help to know your numbers

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alkalinity is generally considered to be the more important element to keep stable, although calcium is important too. Even if your water change keeps up with your tanks consumption it can be hard on the corals if the water change is quickly increasing the alk/cal levels.
Measure your alkalinity and calcium each day for a week or so and see how much they decrease in that weeks time. That will tell you how much your tank is consuming.

Last edited:
OP
OP
JayFish4004

JayFish4004

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Whats your numbers and what is the usage rate. Most tanks water changes are good enough for the first year but every tank is different.
It would really help to know your numbers
I don’t have those numbers just yet. I just ordered a Hanna calcium checker today. I can post back when I do the test.

here’s a photo: tank is super new so I don’t imagine these little guys are consuming all too much just yet.

*also ordering coral lens so I will never have to post an ugly blue photo again haha

Attachments

• 01EEF524-AFBE-4591-92D3-0CC4CF800704.jpeg
    01EEF524-AFBE-4591-92D3-0CC4CF800704.jpeg
    340.3 KB · Views: 43

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t have those numbers just yet. I just ordered a Hanna calcium checker today. I can post back when I do the test.

here’s a photo: tank is super new so I don’t imagine these little guys are consuming all too much just yet.

*also ordering coral lens so I will never have to post an ugly blue photo again haha
With only those few frags you likely won't need to dose anything yet.
Also, if you take pictures with your phone you can download free apps that allow you to raise the white balance to be able to take pictures that are closer to actual color. Not as good as filters but it's at least free to try.

sfin52

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With only those few frags you likely won't need to dose anything yet.
Also, if you take pictures with your phone you can download free apps that allow you to raise the white balance to be able to take pictures that are closer to actual color. Not as good as filters but it's at least free to try.
If you have a galaxy 9 or above pro mode helps a ton

sfin52

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well look at that, I guess I should have played around with the options on my default camera app before downloading an different app that allows me to adjust the white balance. Good tip. Thanks
No problem

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 45 40.9%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 23 20.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 39 35.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.7%
Back