HELP - Angel fish has big bump on side

steti043

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
HELP - flame angel has a big bump

https://youtube.com/shorts/hm9dkE76Mjs?feature=share

We got our flame angel 3 days ago and he was completely fine, and the next day we noticed he had a big bump on his right side (see video) along one of his stripes. It was causing his scales to pinecone. We have no idea how he got it or what it is. For two days he was still acting fine, eating and swimming normally. This morning he’s hiding in the rock. The bump seems to have gotten bigger than when we first noticed it.

The best way I can describe it is that it looks like theres something really swollen on the inside.

We called a couple stores in the area and bought better food (before we were giving brine shrimp and nori, now we bought spirulina, mysis shrimp, krill, squid) and put melafix in the tank as recommended, but this morning he’s hiding :(

What is it? What can we do?

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
It could be an enlarged organ, constipation, an odd type of injury. Other than trying different food types, without more symptoms it's hard to say. I'm assuming it has no other symptoms, was properly quarantined and all the rest of the fish are healthy? I suppose one could think of some internal parasite, etc - I would try to watch if you can see if it's 'pooping' properly. Hope this helps

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
HELP - flame angel has a big bump

https://youtube.com/shorts/hm9dkE76Mjs?feature=share

We got our flame angel 3 days ago and he was completely fine, and the next day we noticed he had a big bump on his right side (see video) along one of his stripes. It was causing his scales to pinecone. We have no idea how he got it or what it is. For two days he was still acting fine, eating and swimming normally. This morning he’s hiding in the rock. The bump seems to have gotten bigger than when we first noticed it.

The best way I can describe it is that it looks like theres something really swollen on the inside.

We called a couple stores in the area and bought better food (before we were giving brine shrimp and nori, now we bought spirulina, mysis shrimp, krill, squid) and put melafix in the tank as recommended, but this morning he’s hiding :(

What is it? What can we do?
The pinecone effect is a form of dropsy due to infection. It may have started from aggression. What other fish do you have in the tank ?
Lifted scales often are bacterial and needs immediate treatment in quarantine with Seachem kanaplex along with added aeration via airstone. This may become progressive based on the scale extension. This broad spectrum treatment is absorbed by the fish making it effective especially when fish are not eating.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The pinecone effect is a form of dropsy due to infection. It may have started from aggression. What other fish do you have in the tank ?
Lifted scales often are bacterial and needs immediate treatment in quarantine with Seachem kanaplex along with added aeration via airstone. This may become progressive based on the scale extension. This broad spectrum treatment is absorbed by the fish making it effective especially when fish are not eating.
Thanks- I didn't think of dropsy. I thought that would be more bilateral though - and also more of a freshwater issue. However all of that said - Treatment with kanaplex is a low-risk issue.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 48 21.1%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 1.8%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 165 72.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 4.8%
Back