Help!,! Argi angelfish tail stuck in filter.

  • Thread starter Thread starter reefer295
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

reefer295

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Nov 24, 2023
Messages
29
Reaction score
6
Location
United States
What state or country do you live in
California
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought a baby Argi angelfish yesterday. A few minutes ago, I looked at him and he was in his rock, but when I came back, his tail was stuck in the filter. He was not stuck for longer than a minute, and he is still breathing, and there is not much visible damage, but he is upside down. Will he make it?
image.jpg
 
Last edited:
@Jay Hemdal
Can you give us more details?
Is he in quarantine or in main display? Was he ran through a quarantine or profilactic treatment? What are parameters?
 
He was in the main display tank, but is now in a small breeding box at the top of the tank. He is pretty small though, and was recently bullied by a damselfish that I immediately removed.
 
I bought a baby Argi angelfish yesterday. A few minutes ago, I looked at him and he was in his rock, but when I came back, his tail was stuck in the filter. He was not stuck for longer than a minute, and he is still breathing, and there is not much visible damage, but he is upside down. Will he make it?
image.jpg

Sorry to see. You did the right thing moving it to a breeder box, but the fish is moribund and may not recover.

Given that you just got the fish, I suspect an acclimation issue. Do you know the salinity it was in at the store (or can you call them) versus the salinity of your tank? Fish do not handle a rise in salinity very well and some stores keep their salinity low.

The damsel could have gotten a lucky bite in that caused this, but you would see bite marks on the fins, etc.

The fish could have been in poor shape from the the store. Transporting a fish to a new tank is always stressful, and if the fish was weak at the store, it might not be able to survive the transition.


Jay
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH TYPE OF REEF CONTENT MOST OFTEN GETS YOU TO PARTICIPATE?

  • Daniel's daily polls. They're awesome! 😎

    Votes: 8 27.6%
  • A real troubleshooting problem

    Votes: 10 34.5%
  • Build-thread or tank-update posts

    Votes: 6 20.7%
  • Before-and-after progress photos

    Votes: 3 10.3%
  • Beginner questions

    Votes: 8 27.6%
  • Honest success or failure stories

    Votes: 7 24.1%
  • A post, update, or article from my favorite vendor

    Votes: 5 17.2%
  • Detailed how-to or educational discussions

    Votes: 9 31.0%
  • Tank tours and member showcases

    Votes: 5 17.2%
  • Local events, swaps, or meetups

    Votes: 5 17.2%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 7 24.1%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new