Help? Bleaching Coral

toor.attar

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Jan 30, 2023
Messages
76
Reaction score
16
Location
Sandy
What state or country do you live in
Utah
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Recently I did an ICP test because of some bleaching coral. To say the least it’s really bad. Phosphate and Iodine are extremely high. Phosphate is 10.23 ppm. Iodine is 1906 µg/l.
Sulfur was high as well.
Sulfur is 913 mg.

I am running a 15 Gallon innovative marine Mixed Reef for a Year and a Half now. Lots of Zoanthids, Variety of Lps, with a few Sps as well. With only a Pair of Clowns.
My Green Pocillopora is bleaching, same with my Purple Digitata. Some coral like my Tubbs Stellata and Favia have brown algae growing on some parts of their skeleton. It’s going fast but is there a chance I can still save them?

All other parameters came okay.
Nitrate 16.
Magnesium 1200.
Calcium 400.
Alkalinity 10dkh. I know a lil high.

I am thinking of adding Extra Carbon to absorb the Iodine.
And adding some Rowaphos and Brightwell Xport Po4 to remove the phosphates.
And doing Daily 15% Water Changes.

Any Advice or Recommendations are appreciated. Please help me save my mini reef.

I’ll drop some pictures of the Bleaching and the Browning.

IMG_1213.jpeg
IMG_1241.jpeg
IMG_1239.jpeg
IMG_1240.jpeg
IMG_1243.jpeg
IMG_1244.jpeg
IMG_1185.jpeg
 
Last edited:
First… the tank looks beautiful. For phosphate, is that in in ppb? If so then that’s the equivalent of 0.01 which is actually on the low side.
 
The corals are not bleaching. Bleaching happens very quickly within 1-2 days. This is slow death.

Your main issue seems to be the sps corals, and seeing them beside the lps corals, I am thinking perhaps low light and low flow.

Do you know the par level? Or what kind of light do you have?
 
The corals are not bleaching. Bleaching happens very quickly within 1-2 days. This is slow death.

Your main issue seems to be the sps corals, and seeing them beside the lps corals, I am thinking perhaps low light and low flow.

Do you know the par level? Or what kind of light do you have?
The Purple Digitata started doing that just today. My light schedule is 14 hours and all the sps are practically getting blasted by flow.
 
Shouldn't be dosing anything in a nano tank unless heavily stocked with SPS just weekly water changes. Get your numbers checked again.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DOES YOUR REEFING AREA LOOK LIKE BETWEEN MAINTENANCE SESSIONS?

  • Clean and tidy—everything gets put away

    Votes: 4 40.0%
  • Mostly cleaned up, but a few tools stay out

    Votes: 1 10.0%
  • Organized chaos—I know where everything is

    Votes: 3 30.0%
  • Enter at your own risk! Buckets, hoses, and towels are basically permanent fixtures

    Votes: 1 10.0%
  • It depends on where I am in the maintenance cycle...

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The tsunami hit. Hard.

    Votes: 1 10.0%
  • A different take... (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new