Help bluw jaw triggerfish is swimming funny

Lavabrine ninja

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I found my blue jaw on the sand bed swimming but he was on his side. What's wrong with him? My guess maybe swim bladder but idk. Hes alive

Attachments

• 20220109_131217.mp4
    36.9 MB

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Sorry to see this . Video sligthtly dark, but is fish thin? Has it been eating ?
Appears to be a buoyancy issue especially when struggling to maintain a normal swimming position is relevant to swim bladder infection or similar iternal issue/symptom.
If severe buoyancy problems exist, the fish may not be able to feed normally or even reach the surface of the water. This disorder is sometimes caused by compression of the swim bladder, which may involve a distended stomach from rapidly eating, overeating, constipation, or gulping air, which is thought to occur with floating foods. Eating freeze-dried or dry flake food that expands when it becomes wet can also lead to an enlarged stomach or intestinal tract.
Other causes are :
  • Trauma/Injury
  • Bacterial infection
  • Parasitic infection
  • Stress/rapidly changing water parameters
  • Poor water quality
Water change(s) may help and antibiotic should also help. Kanamyacin or neomyacyn should help great and best done in a quarantine tank

OP
OP
L

Lavabrine ninja

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to see this . Video sligthtly dark, but is fish thin? Has it been eating ?
Appears to be a buoyancy issue especially when struggling to maintain a normal swimming position is relevant to swim bladder infection or similar iternal issue/symptom.
If severe buoyancy problems exist, the fish may not be able to feed normally or even reach the surface of the water. This disorder is sometimes caused by compression of the swim bladder, which may involve a distended stomach from rapidly eating, overeating, constipation, or gulping air, which is thought to occur with floating foods. Eating freeze-dried or dry flake food that expands when it becomes wet can also lead to an enlarged stomach or intestinal tract.
Other causes are :
  • Trauma/Injury
  • Bacterial infection
  • Parasitic infection
  • Stress/rapidly changing water parameters
  • Poor water quality
Water change(s) may help and antibiotic should also help. Kanamyacin or neomyacyn should help great and best done in a quarantine tank
I've had him for two months and did quarantine him for a month and yes he is eating and I did a water change maybe a week or 2 ago and he was fine the last time he ate was 2 days ago. But hes not thin, hes got a good belly. I feed frozen mysis shrimp which I do defrost

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I've had him for two months and did quarantine him for a month and yes he is eating and I did a water change maybe a week or 2 ago and he was fine the last time he ate was 2 days ago. But hes not thin, hes got a good belly. I feed frozen mysis shrimp which I do defrost
You will need to step up its diet. Fish is carnivorous (meat eater) and requires an array of meats, fats, aminos to remain vital.
I will say regarding the behavior you described which appears sudden, these fish do startle easily and are known to crash into glass and other objects.
As for foods, Feed and Add at least:
Rods food
LRS herbivore diet (has larger pieces of meat)
Mysis
Krill
plankton
mussel

OP
OP
L

Lavabrine ninja

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You will need to step up its diet. Fish is carnivorous (meat eater) and requires an array of meats, fats, aminos to remain vital.
I will say regarding the behavior you described which appears sudden, these fish do startle easily and are known to crash into glass and other objects.
As for foods, Feed and Add at least:
Rods food
LRS herbivore diet (has larger pieces of meat)
Mysis
Krill
plankton
mussel
I got some pieces of frozen shrimp and some frozen cudes mixed with brine, mysis, and mussel with vitamins. But aside of diet what can I do to fix what's wrong with the trigger and will it pull throw?

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I got some pieces of frozen shrimp and some frozen cudes mixed with brine, mysis, and mussel with vitamins. But aside of diet what can I do to fix what's wrong with the trigger and will it pull throw?

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Do u think the trigger will make it?
Hard to say.
getting it to eat is first challenge. Obviously, sooner you treat, the better it’s chance of recovery

HB AL

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Feed that guy daily as much as he will eat. He looks pretty weak in the vid. It might not be anything wrong with your tank water, he might have been caught with cyanide, only reason I mentioned it is in the early days I would have fish that were fine for a while then started doing wiered things like that and others and they never lived very long.

OP
OP
L

Lavabrine ninja

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Feed that guy daily as much as he will eat. He looks pretty weak in the vid. It might not be anything wrong with your tank water, he might have been caught with cyanide, only reason I mentioned it is in the early days I would have fish that were fine for a while then started doing wiered things like that and others and they never lived very long.
I feed the tank every day

HB AL

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe he just wants to chill in a cave, does he have structure to go and chill in? Sudden change in swimming habits, no obvious signs of disease, looks healthy, eats well, could be cyanide poisoning. Just some educated guesses. Good luck with him.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Which what does the antibiotic look like I finding alot of different stuff
1641765445415.png
1641765521083.png

OP
OP
L

Lavabrine ninja

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe he just wants to chill in a cave, does he have structure to go and chill in? Sudden change in swimming habits, no obvious signs of disease, looks healthy, eats well, could be cyanide poisoning. Just some educated guesses. Good luck with him.
He does have alot ot cave, which he was hiding in one of the cave then when I got done giving my cat a bath the trigger was out on the sand looking the way he does.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 50 42.0%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 25 21.0%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 41 34.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.5%
Back