Lump on side of powder blue.. any ideas?

Mcrewski

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was out of town for a week, was being fed straight seaweed extreme pellets. Noticed pea size lump on his side. Been feeding kanaplex with metro now. Any idea what’s wrong with him? Could this be swim bladder related? It does have occasional lymphocystist. IMG_4711.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_4822.mov
    55.8 MB

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Thank you for clear video. May be constipated as area is at the stomach region. Like mine, these fish will eat larger pieces of food that should not fit in their mouths and often happens when feeding pellets or homemade mix with several food chunks hover can also be infection.
Try feeding it brine shrimp to loosen any stoppage, IF stoppage from foods. If no results in 48hrs, treat in separate tank with Seachem Kanaplex which is easily absorbed by the fish

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

That looks to be an abscess of some sort. It only shows on one side, while constipation and swim bladder issues tend to show equally on both sides.

I only saw the clownfish as a tankmate, so no other tangs in there? They are a frequent cause for this. How long have you had the tang, maybe it got spiked before you got it?

Be really careful feeding kanaplex orally, it can be toxic if you don't dose it accurately. Here is an article on oral medications:

OP
OP
M

Mcrewski

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That looks to be an abscess of some sort. It only shows on one side, while constipation and swim bladder issues tend to show equally on both sides.

I only saw the clownfish as a tankmate, so no other tangs in there? They are a frequent cause for this. How long have you had the tang, maybe it got spiked before you got it?

Be really careful feeding kanaplex orally, it can be toxic if you don't dose it accurately. Here is an article on oral medications:
I have had the Tang over 2 years now, 2 months in this new tank. Has only been with the clown, no other tangs. weird because it never had any external lesions or marks.

OP
OP
M

Mcrewski

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had the Tang over 2 years now, 2 months in this new tank. Has only been with the clown, no other tangs. weird because it never had any external lesions or marks.

Attachments

• filtered-27AF8113-5E4A-4F1E-A33F-D540DABBAE8A.mp4
    4.5 MB
OP
OP
M

Mcrewski

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Update on the bump. It went down in size, seemed like it almost popped like a pimple. Wasnt seeing much effect feeding neoplex and switched back to feeding the kanaplex. (seemed to reduce the size) now that its an open external wound, would it be best to do full quarantine or keep feeding the medicated food? Its been a month already, i'd hate to stress him out.

Attachments

• IMG_5745.jpg
    IMG_5745.jpg
    134 KB · Views: 11

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update on the bump. It went down in size, seemed like it almost popped like a pimple. Wasnt seeing much effect feeding neoplex and switched back to feeding the kanaplex. (seemed to reduce the size) now that its an open external wound, would it be best to do full quarantine or keep feeding the medicated food? Its been a month already, i'd hate to stress him out.
That’s an abscess. When they break open, the bacteria is released and the fish can more easily fight off the infection. Once open to the water, antibiotics in the water work much better than oral meds (unless those are dosed by fish weight).

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 29 15.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 24 13.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 108 58.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.5%
Back