Foxfash fount with large spot/gash

Herbie's Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My One spot foxface has been through alot, but recently he has been extremely healthy though always eating, nice and chunky, active and eating algae. Today after coming home I saw a large lump/gash on his left side near the base of his larger fin. Not sure what happened if he had a brush with a powerhead, slept wrong, or possibly got beaten up. He is the largest fish of seven in my 86 gallon tank. I have'nt added any new fish in 5+ months. Lots of photos are listed below along with videos of him eating and his behavior around the tank currently. He seems to have his slime coating partially coming off of his body and you can see the film following him as he swims. He eats frozen 1-2 times a day, nori 1-2 times a week, and TDO pellets twice daily. Random feedings are soaked in selcon and angel elixir supplements. I am not sure what this gash actually is and need help identifying it and what my next steps should be. Thank you for your help.

IMG_3406.jpeg
IMG_3420.jpeg
IMG_3416.jpeg
IMG_3417.jpeg
IMG_3404.jpeg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
My One spot foxface has been through alot, but recently he has been extremely healthy though always eating, nice and chunky, active and eating algae. Today after coming home I saw a large lump/gash on his left side near the base of his larger fin. Not sure what happened if he had a brush with a powerhead, slept wrong, or possibly got beaten up. He is the largest fish of seven in my 86 gallon tank. I have'nt added any new fish in 5+ months. Lots of photos are listed below along with videos of him eating and his behavior around the tank currently. He seems to have his slime coating partially coming off of his body and you can see the film following him as he swims. He eats frozen 1-2 times a day, nori 1-2 times a week, and TDO pellets twice daily. Random feedings are soaked in selcon and angel elixir supplements. I am not sure what this gash actually is and need help identifying it and what my next steps should be. Thank you for your help.

IMG_3406.jpeg
IMG_3420.jpeg
IMG_3416.jpeg
IMG_3417.jpeg
IMG_3404.jpeg
Looks to be an injury with object or tail strike from a tang if you have one. With the separation of slime coat from skin, stress coat which has aloe should help with protective exposure and the area should heal on its own, however keep an eye on it for healing and not becoming infected.
If t becomes red or sore, treat in a separate tank with Seachem Kanaplex
Ruby Rally pro will offer protection now if you wanted to add some to the tank - Its reef safe

Ben.QLD2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've found that rabbitfish can be prone to 'freaking out' and smashing into the aquascape, then doing their whole play dead routine where they go all mottled. Should heal on its own soon enough.

OP
OP
Herbie's Reef

Herbie's Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks to be an injury with object or tail strike from a tang if you have one. With the separation of slime coat from skin, stress coat which has aloe should help with protective exposure and the area should heal on its own, however keep an eye on it for healing and not becoming infected.
If t becomes red or sore, treat in a separate tank with Seachem Kanaplex
Ruby Rally pro will offer protection now if you wanted to add some to the tank - Its reef safe
Thank you for the response, I think it might be from the rock work. Would I just use API stress coat with new water during water changes? I have ruby rally on hand right now but I have seen some very mixed reviews about its reef safeness. I think ill try API stress coat if it just involves adding it to the water and I can treat with kanaplex or ruby rally outside of the tank if necessary with infection as you said. Its a relief to know its most likely a physical injury and not disease. Thank, you!

OP
OP
Herbie's Reef

Herbie's Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've found that rabbitfish can be prone to 'freaking out' and smashing into the aquascape, then doing their whole play dead routine where they go all mottled. Should heal on its own soon enough.
Yeah, he is a timid fish with other people, he has smashed into corals and been stung by corals before. Even damaged his mouth somehow. I'm hoping this will heal on its own. Thank you for the input

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Thank you for the response, I think it might be from the rock work. Would I just use API stress coat with new water during water changes? I have ruby rally on hand right now but I have seen some very mixed reviews about its reef safeness. I think ill try API stress coat if it just involves adding it to the water and I can treat with kanaplex or ruby rally outside of the tank if necessary with infection as you said. Its a relief to know its most likely a physical injury and not disease. Thank, you!
Use both. The rally will protect against infection and stress coat will help support slime coat and stress coat can be added direct to tank.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 27 15.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 24 13.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 99 56.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.9%
Back