HELP!! Can I save my jawfish from ich?

k1ngofthrones

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I woke up this morning to find that my pearly jawfish was rolling on its side with ich! None of the other fish have been affected yet, so I am setting up two quarantine tanks for them. I might have to do a freshwater dip, is there any way to save my jawfish??

Reefer40b

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If its rolling on it side and cant really swim, it sound like it a little too far progressed. Possible velvet.. Any pics? Put in copper and it will have to weather the storm if possible.

piranhaman00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All of your other fish will still get infected. You need to QT all of your fish and leave DT fallow. Freshwater dip will do nothing.

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I woke up this morning to find that my pearly jawfish was rolling on its side with ich! None of the other fish have been affected yet, so I am setting up two quarantine tanks for them. I might have to do a freshwater dip, is there any way to save my jawfish??
Because the Ich parasite burrows so deeply under the skin of the fish, a FW dip doesn't work very well like it does on velvet, Brook, uronema. And especially the Ich parasites that are probably within the gills. The mucous coat on the gills protects the parasite from FW dips.
The best treatment is with CP as it goes directly to therapeutic levels. In the meanwhile, the fish has to weather the attack.
Can you post a pic?

OP
OP
K

k1ngofthrones

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you all for the responses, unfortunately I lost the jawfish this morning and am currently in the process of QTing all my other fish. So far I’ve seen that my flame angel has gotten infected as well! He has small white dots on his find but is still swimming normally. I have API super ich cure, will that work? Is there anything else I can do to save my fish?

Isaac Alves

www.instagram.com/theloneaquarist/
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Chloroquine or Copper.

Super Ich Cure seems to be an antibacterial as well as an anti-biotic (Nitrofurazone). It would be tough, at least for me, to trust Malachite green. At least CP and copper are tried and true, as well as easy to control and maintain therapeutic levels.

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you post a picture of the fish? Ich doesn't usually kill that quickly. You may be dealing with something else like velvet or Brook. A picture will help. Until you post a pic, here's a link with pictures of the most common fish disease/parasites.

OP
OP
K

k1ngofthrones

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here are the only pictures I could get. The camera doesn’t really show it, but there are small, very faint white dots on the angel’s tail and fins. The jawfish was covered in larger white fuzzy specks.
CF5CE098-1F5C-4CF0-8240-2BF8249B909F.jpeg

OP
OP
K

k1ngofthrones

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure if the other pics posted but it doesn’t look like it so here they are again
710D4200-D419-4419-B016-7F1D585E389F.jpeg

OP
OP
K

k1ngofthrones

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After spending a lot of time comparing, I do think I have a velvet problem rather than ich as was mentioned. I’m assuming the ich cure won’t work for my fish, so how can I cure them in time? Thank you all for being so kind, I’ve had a few saltwater tanks but this is the first time I’ve encountered parasites!

Reefyyy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you all for the responses, unfortunately I lost the jawfish this morning and am currently in the process of QTing all my other fish. So far I’ve seen that my flame angel has gotten infected as well! He has small white dots on his find but is still swimming normally. I have API super ich cure, will that work? Is there anything else I can do to save my fish?
im so sorry thats so sad! I'm sorry but i don't deal with fish so i can't help but i wish you good luck!

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After spending a lot of time comparing, I do think I have a velvet problem rather than ich as was mentioned. I’m assuming the ich cure won’t work for my fish, so how can I cure them in time? Thank you all for being so kind, I’ve had a few saltwater tanks but this is the first time I’ve encountered parasites!
So sorry for your losses. :( Velvet has been rampant in the supply chain for awhile. Sad.

Emergency treatment for velvet:

Do a freshwater dip for 3-5 minutes. This removes a tremendous number of parasites from the fish's gills so it can breathe better. Then immediately follow with a medicated bath.

The bath is 60-90 minutes in Ruby Reef Rally. Aerate heavily and heat the bath same as tank temp. THIS STEP GREATLY INCREASE SURVIVAL RATES, EVEN IN BADLY ATTACHED FISH. The RRR has antiseptic and antibiotic qualities that help treat the numerous wounds from the parasites.

Then place the fish into a QT with either CP (chloroquine phosphate) which is the best as it goes right to the therapeutic level to kill the parasites, or pretreat the QT with copper (recommend Copper Power) up to 1.0 ppm which is half way to therapeutic levels of 2.0 ppm. Hold at therapeutic level for either 30 days, or 15 days and then move to a clean sterile QT to observe for 15 days.

While treating with CP or copper also treat with an antibiotic to ward of common bacterial infections: Kanaplex, Furan2 are good to use for 10-14 days.

Remove the copper and then observe for 15 days or so.

The tank has to go fallow to starve out any parasites. 76 days to cover Ich, velvet and Brook.

OP
OP
K

k1ngofthrones

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you!! I will be able to pick up some RRR tomorrow evening. If he is still swimming normally right now, will he last long enough if I freshwater dip him tonight?

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you!! I will be able to pick up some RRR tomorrow evening. If he is still swimming normally right now, will he last long enough if I freshwater dip him tonight?
That's a bit of tough call. A freshwater dip can buy you and the fish some time. You can do one each day until your meds arrive. It's truly amazing how many parasites a FW dip removes. Without adaquate O2 being processed by the fish's gills, the fish often fade very fast. But if the fish is too far gone, it may not survive the dip. But if it doesn't survive the dip, it probably would not have made it through the entire treatment anyway.

OP
OP
K

k1ngofthrones

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's a bit of tough call. A freshwater dip can buy you and the fish some time. You can do one each day until your meds arrive. It's truly amazing how many parasites a FW dip removes. Without adaquate O2 being processed by the fish's gills, the fish often fade very fast. But if the fish is too far gone, it may not survive the dip. But if it doesn't survive the dip, it probably would not have made it through the entire treatment anyway.

thank you so much!! Hopefully he survives, he is my first dwarf angel :(

OP
OP
K

k1ngofthrones

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay so an update, I tried moving my angel to a different tank but he just hid in the crevice of one of the caves and I couldn’t get him out. I saw him this morning and he seemed fine but I haven’t seen him since, I guess he’s too far deep into the cave and won’t come out because I’ve torn apart my tank looking for him :( I just settled for medicating the tank so hopefully it works out

Back