Help....Can not seem to get the swing of this....

ccejka

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had my tank up and running for about 7 months and we finally starting to get growth out of my monti and some other hard corals, hammers and torches looking good.

I leave for 4 days for work and come back to my hammer just being a skeleton, toadstool showing no extension and all of my hard coral bleached.

Cal 480
Alk 7.2 (was normally 8.0)
Phosphates .047
PH 8.5
Salinity 1.027

That was all I tested yesterday, I am loosing my mind with this tank I test weekly have been doing everything I can think of but can not seem to succeed. I am on the edge of calling it quits and going to a freshwater tank. I do have an angel that I think is eating some of the coral and working with LFS to get him a new home but that still doesn't explain the Monti and other bleached corals. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

OP
OP
ccejka

ccejka

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank is 225 gallon tank with a 45 gallon sump. I have 4 60" T5's running 9 hours, 3 kessil a160, and a reef brite 60"

Flow I have 4 mp 40s 2 on each end of the 6 foot tank running on a reef link at 60% ramping down over night to 20%

OP
OP
ccejka

ccejka

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For filter media I am running 3 4" filter socks that are changed every 3 days. I run some GFO and Carbon on separate reactors. The fuge is cheato and runs a 12 hour cycle at night. I am dosing 2 part alk @ 125ml per day and cal @ 250ml per day then aquavitro fuel @ 50ml per day.
1112191328.jpg

1112191328a.jpg

1112191328b.jpg

Last edited:

MikeyLikesit

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you put new GFO in before you left? How much is in the reactor? GFO can lower Alk.it can also cause calcium carbonate (raise cal).. what color is your media? Is it white?
is your GFO somewhat new? Did you do anything new to it?

OP
OP
ccejka

ccejka

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I add new GFO about a week before I left I add the recommended amount on BRS and it is brown in color.

I haven't added or changed anything and the guy watching the tank said he just feed the tank. This is what is driving me crazy

MikeyLikesit

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How much GFO did you add? I am. It one time give “what to do advice” but that is the first thing that popped out to me was the GFO possibly causing some issje

Mykawl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That sounds like a lot of light I think people running hybrids only run the t5’s for 4-5 hours

phosphates are definitely high
What are nitrates at?
Magnesium?
What is your water change policy?
That sounds like some heavy dosing for frags but I’m not experienced with big tank amounts

the angel definitely is partly to blame but obviously something else going on.

High light high nutrients imo

BeejReef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's a stunning aquascape. Don't give up! I'm at just about the same point in the journey and I can just feel it starting to get easier. I'm sure you're just about the crest the hill and hit the downslope for some easy coasting.

hard to say with being gone four days. There's always that dread opening the door.... and then leaving the wife to carry in all the luggage while I obsess over the tank.. lol.

Biggest variables in my mind would be the feeding change (assuming automatic feeder). Perhaps that set off your angel to go after coral more aggressively. Assuming you run an ATO. If not, 4 days is long enough to raise your salinity enough that corals may decline. Have seen others note that leaving the house for days caused ph to elevate... usually a good thing though.

OP
OP
ccejka

ccejka

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That sounds like a lot of light I think people running hybrids only run the t5’s for 4-5 hours

phosphates are definitely high
What are nitrates at?
Magnesium?
What is your water change policy?
That sounds like some heavy dosing for frags but I’m not experienced with big tank amounts

the angel definitely is partly to blame but obviously something else going on.

High light high nutrients imo

I run the T5's as my many source of light right now the A160's will barely light the tank once the T5s turn off.

I will test the magnesium today and nitrates I ran those other test because I have the Hanna's. That is interesting about the phosphates from all the reading I have done people have warned me about going much lower and running ultra low. I do 2 gallon water changes a day.

Thanks for the input I will take what ever I can get for help at this point.

OP
OP
ccejka

ccejka

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's a stunning aquascape. Don't give up! I'm at just about the same point in the journey and I can just feel it starting to get easier. I'm sure you're just about the crest the hill and hit the downslope for some easy coasting.

hard to say with being gone four days. There's always that dread opening the door.... and then leaving the wife to carry in all the luggage while I obsess over the tank.. lol.

Biggest variables in my mind would be the feeding change (assuming automatic feeder). Perhaps that set off your angel to go after coral more aggressively. Assuming you run an ATO. If not, 4 days is long enough to raise your salinity enough that corals may decline. Have seen others note that leaving the house for days caused ph to elevate... usually a good thing though.

I know that is what I am trying to figure out what had changed.

Feeding I just hand feed frozen on Monday Wednesday Friday. Then pellets on Tuesday and Thursday and the weekends. I do run an ATO on the tank. And tank is located in my retail business that is open 7 days a week so their wasn't much change as far as activity.

DMG Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not on the GFO-haters bandwagon, but I do believe that it is often misused. I put 5 tablespoons in my reactor for a 112 gallon system so that the phosphates are reduced very slowly. GFO is very aggressive. Your phosphates are not too high at .04 and with the margin of error on test kits, it might actually be zero. I think that is the root of your problem.

OP
OP
ccejka

ccejka

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not on the GFO-haters bandwagon, but I do believe that it is often misused. I put 5 tablespoons in my reactor for a 112 gallon system so that the phosphates are reduced very slowly. GFO is very aggressive. Your phosphates are not too high at .04 and with the margin of error on test kits, it might actually be zero. I think that is the root of your problem.

I did test with PPB Hanna tester to try and make sure I got the most accurate reading I could.

What is your suggestion? Remove part of the GFO, all of it and add a smaller amount?

DMG Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did test with PPB Hanna tester to try and make sure I got the most accurate reading I could.

What is your suggestion? Remove part of the GFO, all of it and add a smaller amount?

I would definitely reduce the amount of GFO and change it out more often. If your test result of .04 is accurate, you don't want to reduce phosphates any lower in my opinion.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 34 22.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 51 34.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.0%
Back