Help chalice coral ends turning white and brown

Aqauclear

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My calcium is a bit low at 320 because of the sps corals I had I'm dosing more calcium to the tank nitrates are at 1 ppm,phosphates 0.01 cause of nopox, I'm feeding it more with reef roids alk is a bit high cause of low calcium at 12, magnesium 1420 I kept moving it alot so maybe that caused the stress, right now I left it on the sand bed, when it was on rocks the flow made it fell on the sand and may have irritated the flesh, I have 180 par led lights and a fliter with 300gph and skimmer that provides most of the flow

15973199335162173539246358103270.jpg

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Prob because of low calcium. Get it back within range and it may recover.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Sand bed is not a good spot for it as it can get covered with sand and stressed out. Continuous movement for location of no help either. It does best mid tank in the path of moderate light and water movement. They feed best when the light s are out for an hour or two.
To treat if it is looking bad, do the following:
  • A 3 minute freshwater dip, with the water being the same temperature and PH as the sea water the coral is in.
  • an occasional Iodine bath using one drop of Lugol's iodine per 5 gallons of sea water which may help, but the bath needs to last around 15 minutes to be effective
  • Use tetracycline in sea water baths that last up to 5 hours a day. The coral must be put in freshwater after this treatment. I favor the first two steps
Follow with a water change which should also increase calcium

OP
OP
Aqauclear

Aqauclear

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sand bed is not a good spot for it as it can get covered with sand and stressed out. Continuous movement for location of no help either. It does best mid tank in the path of moderate light and water movement. They feed best when the light s are out for an hour or two.
To treat if it is looking bad, do the following:
  • A 3 minute freshwater dip, with the water being the same temperature and PH as the sea water the coral is in.
  • an occasional Iodine bath using one drop of Lugol's iodine per 5 gallons of sea water which may help, but the bath needs to last around 15 minutes to be effective
  • Use tetracycline in sea water baths that last up to 5 hours a day. The coral must be put in freshwater after this treatment. I favor the first two steps
Follow with a water change which should also increase calcium
Will kent marine iodine work I don't have lugol's solution. If I put it mid area of the rocks will it sting my corals mine looks like a Hollywood stunner

Last edited:

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Will my chalice recover on its own? I have a weak solution of iodine, do I have to do dips?
Theyre fragile yet tough. May require multiple dips But if youve done one. . . Monitor progress in 12 and then 24 hours.

OP
OP
Aqauclear

Aqauclear

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Theyre fragile yet tough. May require multiple dips But if youve done one. . . Monitor progress in 12 and then 24 hours.
Also my duncan isn't opening that much it's only a single head. it opens at night for some reason its placed it the mid rock section maybe its getting too much light.
20200803_200737.jpg
20200813_094000.jpg
I did just turn on the lights so maybe I should just give it time the first picture is it before and bottom now, it looks more shriveled then before I had this problem with my torch coral it ended up melting away. Im having a bit of lps problems.

Glott3133

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Try not to make too many changes at one time. That will make you totally crazy and chasing the right solution. I would first do a water change, to try to get your chemistry in a good range. Especially your Ca. Your phosphates are little low, but should rise with feeding. Once your water chemistry is good, then I would work on getting the chalice back healthy. My chalice recovered with simply ensuring my water was at the appropriate levels.

Also, keep in mind you don't want to change things drastically, this will stress all of your corals. Make a change and give it a day or two to see how things are recovering. Then make make another adjustment.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
No doubt associated with parameters.

snowhite

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally, I think you're taking your phosphates to low with the NoPox and going to end up having problems with the tank bottoming out. LPS don't mind some nitrate and phosphate in the water.
Don't get caught up in all the Ultra Low parameters jibber jabber that you see people carrying on about. Find out where your tank "wants" to comfortably be and keep it consistently there.

Tundra Cuttle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One of my Duncans just never closes so don't worry if it stays open at night. When you say overfeeding do you mean chronic overfeeding or just one time? Do you run carbon? What is your water change schedule? How old is the tank? It looks extremely clean. I have more questions but they can wait.
20200812_163625.jpg

OP
OP
Aqauclear

Aqauclear

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One of my Duncans just never closes so don't worry if it stays open at night. When you say overfeeding do you mean chronic overfeeding or just one time? Do you run carbon? What is your water change schedule? How old is the tank? It looks extremely clean. I have more questions but they can wait.
20200812_163625.jpg
I do run carbon, I change the water frequently since it's a small tank usually once a week, my tank is about 6 months old.

Pdash

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You need to work through potential problems. Make sure your source water is zero tds/ doesn't have chlorine or chloramines in it. Double check salinity. What type of light do you have, did you actually check your par? Have you stabilized cal, alk, mag in the appropriate range? Are your corals getting enough flow? What is your tank temperature, is it reasonably stable?

OP
OP
Aqauclear

Aqauclear

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You need to work through potential problems. Make sure your source water is zero tds/ doesn't have chlorine or chloramines in it. Double check salinity. What type of light do you have, did you actually check your par? Have you stabilized cal, alk, mag in the appropriate range? Are your corals getting enough flow? What is your tank temperature, is it reasonably stable?
Help my alk is at 15 and my calcium is at 420 I dosed to much reef fusion and my parameters raised too fast

Stuck to your aquarium: Do you put reef-related stickers on or around your reef system?

• I have reef-related stickers everywhere!

Votes: 5 3.0%
  • I have some reef-related stickers on or around my reef system.

Votes: 49 29.3%
  • I have some reef-related stickers, but not on my reef system.

Votes: 36 21.6%
  • I don’t have reef-related stickers, but I am interested in getting some.

Votes: 17 10.2%
  • I have no interest in reef-related stickers.

Votes: 58 34.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.2%
Back