OP
Ashley L

Ashley L

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's my tank right now, looks a little bare with part of my corals in my QT for healing.

image.jpeg

JMacedo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you, and thanks for all the help! How often do you suggest I change my carbon right now? For my carbon dosing I was just adding sugar. I've been doing that for about a year if something ever happens to spike my nitrates. I actually have been giving some amino acids.. I don't know if it's enough to matter, but I was adding polyp lab's polyp booster before I feed my corals reef roids to get them to open up more for feeding... Maybe should stop that for now too? So far I am not having any algae problems., thank goodness! Thanks for the tips with the salt, I'll give it a shot!
I have another problem on my hands now too... Well, you know how I made a hospital tank out of my QT for my corals that were dying? Well I didn't get to quarantine that big anemone and corals I got the last time we talked and have someway introduced ich to my tank from the contaminated water they were shipped in. I can't see the spots on my fish yet, but some of my tangs are flashing. I went to the fish store to see if they had any reef safe treatments and they sold me sicce hypercure. The thing is, aside from that being all they had that is "reef safe", I can't find a single review online for it. Have you heard of it being effective? It says it has been tested with corals with no bad side effects but if something happens to do a huge water change. Doesn't sound very convincing. I have about 140+ lbs of live rock glued together in my tank too, so there's no way I can begin to catch all these fish to medicate them. I'll post a pic of my tank and you'll know why, haha. And I have the flu right now, so no more big water changes to help right now.... Lucky me lol.

Sorry for the late reply... I confess I don´t know much about other corals than sps :( I know they need a lot more nutrients than sps but I never used the products you mentioned. My tank was being fed just fish poo and a homemade blend until last month. Now I am trying some Fauna Marin Products to see if I can make things look even nicer.

I saw the pic of your tank and it looks quite clean to me (very nice t~reef you have there, btw) I think you can change the Activated Carbon as you have been doing before the issue happened.

To quarantine or not to quarantine.... I know that nowadays most reefers talk about quarantine but I don´t quarantine anything. I dip corals in one of the available commercial solutions and also use Milbemycin Oxime during the dip to get rid of pests. Fish is added directly to the tank, many times suffering from ich but my UV keeps the population of parasites under control and in few days everything is back to normal.

There was a time I stopped using UV and tried to quarantine new fish and medicate. The fish were stressed further, the medicine or would kill the parasites, or the fish or both, besides that I used to be paid to treat water at a waste water treatment plant and we always use UV to eliminate pathogens. So, I am so sorry if I cannot be of much help regarding the quarantine of out tank inhabitants.

Anyway, if you need to remove fish for a treatment the best way to catch them is to wake up in the middle of the night and turn on the lights over the tank. Fish will be temporarily blind swimming like zombies ant makes it very easy to catch them but does not work with wrasses as they bury themselves in the sand.

Hope that flu had gone by now and my apologies for not being much useful this time.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 159 57.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.8%

Back