Help choosing circ pumps/powerheads

Fish Fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys! I am slowly gathering parts for what I'm hoping will be a nice SPS dominate tank. I'm basing my build around an IM Nuvo Black 40 gallon tank that measures about 24" long x 20" wide x 19" tall. I have a handle on just about everything I need for this build, but I am pretty much stumped when it comes to circulation options to create good flow in the tank. So I'm appealing to the community for suggestions of what to look for. Please keep in mind I want to go SPS, and I'm 99.9% sure this tank will be bare bottom. For sump-to-tank turn over, I'm going to try a DC pump, I'll be 10x tank volume capable, but plan on shooting for more like 3-5x tank volume turn over.

Some ideas I've had include using EcoTech mp10qd powerheads, but wow these seem a bit spendy to me. I believe I would need at least two, one on each side of the tank. Possibly I would need two more, or maybe just some "regular" powerheads in the back bottom of the tank as well? Could someone help me understand more about these powerheads, and how many would be suggested?

Another option is the Maxspect Gyre pumps. These too are a bit pricy, but I'm fairly certain I would only need 1 controller and 1 to 2 of the gyre pumps. Honestly, I don't know a lot about these pumps. Again, could someone tell me how many would be suggested for my tank, and where in the tank would you mount them?

Has anyone tried the budget Jebao versions of controllable powerheads and gyres? Honestly, for the price I might be willing to try these. I figure if they fail I have plenty of "regular" powerheads I could use for a day or two until I get a replacement. If they stink and burn out in 2 or 3 months, then I'll go Ecotech or Maxspect at that time. But reviews on Amazon seem favorable, in fact basically them same over all as the reviews for the Ecotech and Maxspect products.

Are there any other options that I'm missing?

I would appreciate any thoughts or suggestions. Thanks guys!

-FishFan

Brad Miller

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an idea for you...

Go with a very affordable one (Koralia) and experiment with the flow and how many you might need while having some coral and fish for a while....then if you want to upgrade to a variable speed with controller and spend that kind of money, you will know what you really will need.

Link to BRS below;

https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/pumps-plumbing/aquarium-powerhead-pumps/hydor.html

OP
OP
Fish Fan

Fish Fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
^Hi! Thank you for the reply! In fact, I have a few Hydors from years ago, though they might be a little large for this tank. But I am starting to think that I won't really need the full circulation capacity until the tank is well matured and actually supporting SPS corals. Therefore, I could start with cheaper powerheads, and upgrade or swap them out as needed. Thank you for your help!

I've been reading a lot tonight, and watching some videos, and I am more than ever interested in the Gyre style pumps. Can anyone help me understand how many would typically be required in my 40 gallon tank (24"x20"x19").

Thanks guys!

-FF

mitch91175

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
^Hi! Thank you for the reply! In fact, I have a few Hydors from years ago, though they might be a little large for this tank. But I am starting to think that I won't really need the full circulation capacity until the tank is well matured and actually supporting SPS corals. Therefore, I could start with cheaper powerheads, and upgrade or swap them out as needed. Thank you for your help!

I've been reading a lot tonight, and watching some videos, and I am more than ever interested in the Gyre style pumps. Can anyone help me understand how many would typically be required in my 40 gallon tank (24"x20"x19").

Thanks guys!

-FF

For the Gyre for a 40 gallon, I think only 1 would be needed. Make sure it is the smallest of the Gyres, because they move a lot of water. I do not think you will be able to increase over 50% with a Gyre in a tank that size.

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
If you don't mind power cords in the tank I'd look at a pair of Tunze 6055's.
They are very quiet, strong and last forever.
My pair at 9+ years old.

OP
OP
Fish Fan

Fish Fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For the Gyre for a 40 gallon, I think only 1 would be needed. Make sure it is the smallest of the Gyres, because they move a lot of water. I do not think you will be able to increase over 50% with a Gyre in a tank that size.
Thank you for your help! So would you think the gyre is too powerful for my 40 gallon?

If you don't mind power cords in the tank I'd look at a pair of Tunze 6055's.
They are very quiet, strong and last forever.
My pair at 9+ years old.
Hi! Thank you for the suggestion, I will look at them now.

Any further thoughts? I'd appreciate any help I can get.

Thank you!

-FIshFan

Chilli

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can recommend two tunze 6055 to you, one on the right and one on the left side. I have a 6055 and a 6095 in my reefer250, they after one week ( if they new) very quite and have good power!
you can regulate the power well

mitch91175

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for your help! So would you think the gyre is too powerful for my 40 gallon?

Hi! Thank you for the suggestion, I will look at them now.

Any further thoughts? I'd appreciate any help I can get.

Thank you!

-FIshFan

Not that it is too powerful (you can always find a lower setting that works for your tank). 40 gallons I don't think are too difficult to get the flow that you need in there. If you have pumps already, I'd use those like suggested and see how it goes from there. If you just want to get something new, you really have an abundant amount of options. I personally use MP40, Gyre, and Jebao and they all fit the bill.

OP
OP
Fish Fan

Fish Fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the help guys! I have been looking at the Tunze 6055, I actually didn't realize these were controllable pumps. It's looking like they compete well with the Ecotech, but are perhaps a bit more flexible the the flow direction adjustment, and they seem a bit cheaper than the Ecotech offering. So they are an option. I do agree I can start with some inexpensive powerheads and see how it goes, I already have quite a few of those. I've also been really trying to be patient, research, and buy the "best" component for my budget and needs. Maybe my progression should be to use the powerheads I have now to get started (or purchase inexpensive powerheads), then upgrade to the "budget" controllable pumps like the Jebao wavemakers and gyres. Maybe I'll get lucky and they will fulfill my needs, but if not then at that time I can look towards the more expensive units. As long that the budget Jebaos don't die completely, I can find uses for them on my other tanks. For this 40 gallon, I really do want both the "best" functionally and also what looks good in/on the tank, but I've now realized I have a good 12 months or longer from when I start the tank to when I really need my most powerful and sophisticated flow options. That makes me feel a lot better :)

One more question, please: is there a rule of thumb for how much flow per volume of water to shoot for? For example, in a recent video from BRS I saw they were advocating that for SPS tanks with bare bottoms should see flow rates of up to 100x the tank's volume. I understand that is something of a maximum number, and that the pumps are not running at this volocity 24/7, blasting the calcium right out of the corals, but it still seems a bit high to me. Is there a good rule of thumb for how much flow to shoot for, or is it something that I'll see when I get my rock scape and corals in place, and see how the corals react?

Thank you for your help, I really appreciate it!

-FishFan

mitch91175

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the help guys! I have been looking at the Tunze 6055, I actually didn't realize these were controllable pumps. It's looking like they compete well with the Ecotech, but are perhaps a bit more flexible the the flow direction adjustment, and they seem a bit cheaper than the Ecotech offering. So they are an option. I do agree I can start with some inexpensive powerheads and see how it goes, I already have quite a few of those. I've also been really trying to be patient, research, and buy the "best" component for my budget and needs. Maybe my progression should be to use the powerheads I have now to get started (or purchase inexpensive powerheads), then upgrade to the "budget" controllable pumps like the Jebao wavemakers and gyres. Maybe I'll get lucky and they will fulfill my needs, but if not then at that time I can look towards the more expensive units. As long that the budget Jebaos don't die completely, I can find uses for them on my other tanks. For this 40 gallon, I really do want both the "best" functionally and also what looks good in/on the tank, but I've now realized I have a good 12 months or longer from when I start the tank to when I really need my most powerful and sophisticated flow options. That makes me feel a lot better :)

One more question, please: is there a rule of thumb for how much flow per volume of water to shoot for? For example, in a recent video from BRS I saw they were advocating that for SPS tanks with bare bottoms should see flow rates of up to 100x the tank's volume. I understand that is something of a maximum number, and that the pumps are not running at this volocity 24/7, blasting the calcium right out of the corals, but it still seems a bit high to me. Is there a good rule of thumb for how much flow to shoot for, or is it something that I'll see when I get my rock scape and corals in place, and see how the corals react?

Thank you for your help, I really appreciate it!

-FishFan

You have to let the coral tell you what they like.

OP
OP
Fish Fan

Fish Fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
^Right! I’m just trying to get some idea what I will need in the end, but I know variables like my rock work and species kept will dictate the flow. Again, I’m newly less worried, I’m realizing I don’t have to drop $600 on circulation right from the start. Thanks again for your help!

-FF

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
^Right! I’m just trying to get some idea what I will need in the end, but I know variables like my rock work and species kept will dictate the flow. Again, I’m newly less worried, I’m realizing I don’t have to drop $600 on circulation right from the start. Thanks again for your help!

-FF
I wouldn't consider a pump that isn't controllable, so pumps like the Tunze 6055's create flow from 250gph up to 1450gph.
So pumps in this range will be fine for most any corals in a 24" x 20" x 19" tank.
I do like the MP10's too, which are close to the Tunze pumps in flow.

OP
OP
Fish Fan

Fish Fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
^Yes, I definitely see the advantages of controllable pumps, and I'm definitely going in that direction in the future. For this tank, I hope to have as many processes as possible automated and/or controlled as best that I can, and that's not to be lazy, that's in an effort to create a stable environment.

As I've mentioned, I now realize that even if I started the tank tomorrow (and I'm in absolutely no rush), I'd have a good 12-18 months before I'd have to have my "final" circulation pumps in place. Therefore, I can start with what I have or what's affordable, and upgrade later as my livestock dictates. Does that make sense?

Again I'd like to ask, just to be clear so I can plan for the future, is there a general guideline to shoot for as far as flowXtank volume, or any other guideline? That would be much appreciated.

Thank you all for your help!

-FF

WetPets

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another good option is the refbreeders pump if you want something controllable but less expensive.

OP
OP
Fish Fan

Fish Fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another good option is the refbreeders pump if you want something controllable but less expensive.
I'm sorry, I'm not familiar with those pumps, but I will look into them tomorrow :)

Thank you for your help!

-FF

mstockmaster

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
Fish Fan

Fish Fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
^Hi! Well honestly that's what I don't know, and maybe won't know for sure until I have my livestock, but this is what I'm trying to get a sense for. I am not familiar with the random flow generator, I will look for that right now. And you're having good luck with the Jebao pump?

Thank you for your help!

-FF

mstockmaster

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, I've had a few of them and some have had longer lifespans than others. But for the price you can afford to replace them. The newest generation seems to be the best, much quieter and controls are a bit different. Also they split the electronics out of the pump head and improved reliability from what I've heard.

OP
OP
Fish Fan

Fish Fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, I've had a few of them and some have had longer lifespans than others. But for the price you can afford to replace them. The newest generation seems to be the best, much quieter and controls are a bit different. Also they split the electronics out of the pump head and improved reliability from what I've heard.
Thank you! Actually, funny thing..... I have a 75 gallon FW American Cichlid tank driven by two cheap canister filters, and in that tank I have an old Koralia circ pump just helping to move things around. Anyway, that pump died last night during cleaning, and though I have at least two more just like it in storage I think I'm going to order up a Jebao controllable powerhead just to give it a try. Like you were saying, they are not an arm and a leg to try.

Thank you again!

-FishFan

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 47 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 164 57.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.7%
Back