Help choosing my CUC

yanni

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all!

im currently restarting my reef tank, and I’m trying to choose a suitable cuc list to slowly add. It’s a Waterbox 20, I’ll attach pics of the scape. The current occupancy of the tank will be my two clowns and a coral banded shrimp, and I plan to add a lawnmower blenny eventually.

for inverts I’m thinking a mixture of strombus snails, zombie (nassarius) snails, turbo and trochus snails. I would like eventually to add a small starfish, or possibly an urchin, pending how well the snails mow the algae down. I live in Australia, so that does affect availability of livestock.

I’m mainly worried about numbers of each to add, so I don’t starve them out, but maintain effective sandbed turnover, algae cleaning off rocks, and just general detritus cleaning.

265BCFFC-5D36-437C-9F92-2473C0D14CCE.jpeg 2FAE1BA7-469D-48D6-AD24-D529132E0BF9.jpeg 1AD82AF1-5470-47B0-934A-947BC39BB8A5.jpeg

Eric Cohen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all!

im currently restarting my reef tank, and I’m trying to choose a suitable cuc list to slowly add. It’s a Waterbox 20, I’ll attach pics of the scape. The current occupancy of the tank will be my two clowns and a coral banded shrimp, and I plan to add a lawnmower blenny eventually.

for inverts I’m thinking a mixture of strombus snails, zombie (nassarius) snails, turbo and trochus snails. I would like eventually to add a small starfish, or possibly an urchin, pending how well the snails mow the algae down. I live in Australia, so that does affect availability of livestock.

I’m mainly worried about numbers of each to add, so I don’t starve them out, but maintain effective sandbed turnover, algae cleaning off rocks, and just general detritus cleaning.

265BCFFC-5D36-437C-9F92-2473C0D14CCE.jpeg 2FAE1BA7-469D-48D6-AD24-D529132E0BF9.jpeg 1AD82AF1-5470-47B0-934A-947BC39BB8A5.jpeg
Looks good! Sounds like you already have a good idea how not to overload your janitors when your tank is just starting out. Im sure you'll figure it out....slow and steady wins the race....not to mention Im sure you'll go through many small cleaners for your system.....thankfully this is the least expensive part of your future:)

OP
OP
yanni

yanni

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks good! Sounds like you already have a good idea how not to overload your janitors when your tank is just starting out. Im sure you'll figure it out....slow and steady wins the race....not to mention Im sure you'll go through many small cleaners for your system.....thankfully this is the least expensive part of your future:)
Yeah that’s the plan! I want to slowly add them as problems arise, film algae takes hold - trochus snails
- sandbed starts getting yucky even with me stirring it = strombus/nassarius snails
- lawnmower blenny is beneficial and looks cool, so add him in a few months

etc etc, I’ll just be trying to add them only as I need them

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Hey all!

Nice rockscape. Add CUC once cycle has been completed at least three weeks or there is presence of food source such as film algae. Some good snails to start with are:
Nassarius- surface algae and diatoms
Cerith- diatom and cyano
astrea - film algae and diatoms
Turbo - Surface and hair algae
Trochus - cyano and surface algae

6-8 Caribbean blue leg hermits

OP
OP
yanni

yanni

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice rockscape. Add CUC once cycle has been completed at least three weeks or there is presence of food source such as film algae. Some good snails to start with are:
Nassarius- surface algae and diatoms
Cerith- diatom and cyano
astrea - film algae and diatoms
Turbo - Surface and hair algae
Trochus - cyano and surface algae

6-8 Caribbean blue leg hermits
I’m unsure if I can get blue legs or astrea here, but that’s a good idea for stocking. Will slowly add those, in making sure to only add them once I can see algae

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 14.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 7 6.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 18 15.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 66 56.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 6.9%
Back