Help choosing my first tank.

miltonkl

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Sep 28, 2020
Messages
149
Reaction score
131
Location
Minneapolis
What state or country do you live in
Minnesota
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking to set up my first tank and I just picked up a used Aquatop Recife 40g AIO tank and stand which I got a great deal on; however, the skimmer is missing the little piece that you adjust it with, the light was missing, and the powerhead is missing the mount to have it actually stay in place. Aquatop sells a replacement nano skimmer for $60 (but I assume it's kind of junk, I couldn't find any reviews on it) and a new mount for this powerhead for $10. Also, it seems the little boxes that hold the media in this tank are not well received and people generally recommend replacing it with a custom acrylic piece.

As an alternative, I'm considering selling this tank (worth maybe $200-$300 in current condition, I think?) and grabbing a standard 40 breeder. I think I'd prefer the longer tank over the cube shape (though the aquatop and stand is gorgeous even just sitting here empty and I'm sure a 40B won't look as nice) and since I need to buy a skimmer and light anyways, I think the 40B may give me more flexibility in terms of what will fit and also future upgrades (sump for bigger tank, drilling it, etc). My rookie thought is that I could probably also get away with a cheaper light to start since it won't have to penetrate as deep (eventually I'm sure I'll want more corals and will need to get a proper high end light regardless).

I'm looking or the opinions of experienced reefers here. My question is, would you proceed with buying the replacements and using the Aquatop tank as a first tank or would it be worth selling it and diverting the funds to a basic 40 breeder?
 
Look at ice cap k1-50 shimmer
And light- Ai prime or hydra 26
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE BIGGEST REASON YOU ATTEND A FRAG SWAP?

  • Finding unusual or hard-to-find corals

    Votes: 1 10.0%
  • Better prices than buying online

    Votes: 3 30.0%
  • Trading or selling my own frags

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Meeting other reefers

    Votes: 2 20.0%
  • Learning from vendors and hobbyists

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Seeing corals in person before buying

    Votes: 5 50.0%
  • Supporting the local reefing community

    Votes: 3 30.0%
  • I don’t have frag swaps nearby

    Votes: 1 10.0%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new