OP
OP
techhnyne

techhnyne

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the advice guys. So yes i guess i will wind up doing a spur of the moment purchase when i do get an eel cause im un decided. Though zebra are a more rate and exotic i am leaning more towards that

Amps Reef Life

That Fish Guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A golden dwarf eel is perfect I have one in my tank and love him. They stay small and are reef safe. He does stick to his cave are and tends to lurk outside his cave as you would see in the ocean and as stated above. He becomes more active as he gets hungry you'll notice it and you'll know it's time to feed. I wouldn't recommend hand feeding unless your going to wear a glove as eels have terrible eye sight and will mistake your finger/hand and bite you. Not on purpose or course. Here's a picture of mine when I picked him up. He loves clam and silver sides.

IMG_1966.JPG

Sir Chris

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get a pipe fish. Never have 2 worry and feeds my different species need in my tank. It’s a dragon faced. And the variety is amazing. It’s a catch 22 as feed it heavy to subdue his frenzy but then he/she will grow faster. And u need to redo your rockscape for him 2 b at home and not get cut up

Last edited:

Colorfulsticks

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Actually ribbon eels I have found are rather quite easy start them off with live feeders then move to frozen have kept mine for 4 years now was a juv. When I got now he's like 4ft but none the less easy eel to keep but make sure your kids are tight they are escape artists

cyrus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had a ghost eel with a ribbon eel before, in a large tank a ribbon will swim handsomely, if your going for effect thats your guy. I just got 3 dwarf morays in, one unfortunately managed to jump through a small hole in the QT lid (an expensive loss) and the other two fought each other. Now one lives in the filtration and the other is doing great. Point is not everyone is a model citizen lol. Out of all 3 types I'd recommend the ribbon, they are just that dang cool.

Aaron Davis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A golden dwarf eel is perfect I have one in my tank and love him. They stay small and are reef safe. He does stick to his cave are and tends to lurk outside his cave as you would see in the ocean and as stated above. He becomes more active as he gets hungry you'll notice it and you'll know it's time to feed. I wouldn't recommend hand feeding unless your going to wear a glove as eels have terrible eye sight and will mistake your finger/hand and bite you. Not on purpose or course. Here's a picture of mine when I picked him up. He loves clam and silver sides.

IMG_1966.JPG

That's a freaking cool looking one!

Shadowspop

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a snowflake in my 180 fish only years ago. Started off fine, then we noticed some smaller fish missing, but didn't know how. Finally we watched him come out of his hole, grab a fish and bring it in. The deal breaker for him was killing a gorgeous green bird wrasse. Not intentional, but they went for a piece if food at the same time. Eel literally bit the snout off the wrasse. I would be very careful with eels in a reef.

Jamie7907

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure you can get these anymore. I believe there from Hawaii. Could be wrong though.

They are from Hawaii. Correct me if I’m wrong, but I thought they were able stop the collection ban. At least I hope so.

From what I read the other day it actually went into effect. We were looking at a potter's angel too, pretty bummed.

There is no collection ban. News outlets and some vendors have sensationalized this issue. All that has happened is that collectors are no longer allowed to use nets with mesh smaller than 2”

BubbleFett42079

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
There are many reef safe eel's out there. Good luck in finding one that fits your tank.

Happy reefing!

DSC reef

Coral wasted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is no collection ban. News outlets and some vendors have sensationalized this issue. All that has happened is that collectors are no longer allowed to use nets with mesh smaller than 2”
So the info provided by trusted vendors here is false? Ok. Not trying to debate this on the OP's thread.

MarsRover

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I literally went through this myself a few months back. Snowflakes and zebras are long considered some of your best options. Get as baby and train while in QT to eat squid and krill from a feeding stick. Don't ever feed them anything else (scallops/clam) unless you want them to have a taste for it! Keep them well fed (super easy to tell when they are hungry) and eventually the learn that food only comes from the stick and it's squid or krill. It's really really easy if you stay consistent and get a youngster (I'd say a foot long or so)

The choice between zebra and snowflake is upto you. There are tons of articles on this subject but ultimately zebras are less favored because they are mega clumsy and strong and will shove your rockwork around if not very very secure.

The keys to success are:
-Get an eel species that does NOT naturally hunt fish
-Get a baby and train it to only eat non-tank inhabitant types of food from a designated feeding stick
-keep them well fed so as not to risk them going into a feeding "frenzy"

It's also worth noting that when you purchase the eel, ask the vendor what they had been feeding it. LAX aquarium was my source and thy were feeding squid and krill which was my planned diet for it at home which was perfect. I want to keep clams with mine so I don't want her ever learning what that tastes like.

Last edited:

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

IMG_1966.JPG

That has got to be the best looking GDM I've ever seen. So colorful!

Niterunner77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since we are on the subject of reef friendly Eels and I’ve been contemplating searching for a compatible one..... are there any eels thy are reef friendly that will fit in a 75G?

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 31.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 19 19.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back