Help choosing Reef friendly Eel

techhnyne

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys
I really want an eel that is reef safe that wont eat my clownfish and other smaller fish in the tank.
One i can train and hand feed, I know that comes from juvi stage but its not always easy finding a juvi Eel so what do you guys think I should look for when eel shopping?

preferably a Eel thats out alot during the day too

Thanks

Legal Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a small snowflake eel in my first reef tank 20 years ago. I would look for the smallest available. I never had a problem with mine, but I stick fed him small feeder fish before feeding the rest of the tank. Always a chance they may bite a fish when they smell food in the water, that's why I always fed him first. He would swim out grab his fish off the feeding stick then swim back to his cave and look out. From what i understand they like to eat crabs. Maybe if you keep him well fed you wont have a problem.

OP
OP
techhnyne

techhnyne

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a small snowflake eel in my first reef tank 20 years ago. I would look for the smallest available. I never had a problem with mine, but I stick fed him small feeder fish before feeding the rest of the tank. Always a chance they may bite a fish when they smell food in the water, that's why I always fed him first. He would swim out grab his fish off the feeding stick then swim back to his cave and look out. From what i understand they like to eat crabs. Maybe if you keep him well fed you wont have a problem.
I used to have a snowflake he was cool and friendly i actually had him swim to my hand and he would slowly take the fish from my finger tips I loved him so much, this was 15 years ago and he was in an aggressive tank. I wanted to try a new species but I wont cross a snowflake off my list yet
My thought now are either snowflake or zebra or ribbon.
I am sure there are dozens other eels out there i have no idea about lol

anyone else have any suggestion?

Lovemyreef2015

Reefing Mom!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depending on the size of the tank a zebra eel is a good choice. I had a friend that had one in her 125 that did well for 2 years. It never bothered any fish and ate from a feeding stick. It got pretty large though.

OP
OP
techhnyne

techhnyne

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 125 with a coast 2 coast bean animal overflow. Pretty safe for any type of fish. Just need to put my glass tops on since my snowflake once got out of my tank. I found hin 4 days later on my floor across the room. He was still alive!! I put him back in and he was fine

dcraigj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I currently have a zebra eel in my 120. He has been a model citizen. At times he can be seen going from one side of the tank to the other.

IMG_6432.JPG
IMG_6435.JPG

DSC reef

Coral wasted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are from Hawaii. Correct me if I’m wrong, but I thought they were able stop the collection ban. At least I hope so.
From what I read the other day it actually went into effect. We were looking at a potter's angel too, pretty bummed.

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a golden dwarf moray. Awesome little eels, completely passive. I keep small tanks, so the dwarf is the only eel I can keep. He's in a 10g with a six line wrasse right now until my new tank cycles. The six line would easily be dinner for the eel, but he ignores him. The six line can swim right by his head and he doesn't even pay him attention. The only thing I've found that they will eat is squid, specifically, calamari. I cut up the tentacles into 2 or 3 arms and feed one piece every 2 to 3 days. You can tell when they are hungry, they know where food comes from and will act more excited when you come to the tank than when they aren't hungry.

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very nice robin! That's always been my favorite eel. You should see what happens when calamari gets put in front of me! Lol.

Oh he doesn't eat the tubes, just the tentacles... so I get to fry up the tubes and eat them. I need to do that soon, found a recipe for buffalo fried calamari. Mmmm

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any of your eel interest would be a good choice. Things to consider, the zebra gets huge; I've found the snowflake and zebra to have similar dispositions. Both will mostly hang in their cave and be active when they are hungry, they usually are observant and at least poking their heads out and about. That's the way most eels are, if you want to keep your smaller fish you should keep them on a very regular feeding schedule and keep them well fed.

I have a black ribbon eel in observation, and 1st off they are very challenging. I will say it is a fantastic display when he is swimming around, twisting and fluttering under the leds. They do seem to be out and about more than many of the other eels. I've only known one person that has been successful in keeping one. If you decide on a ribbon eel and have trouble feeding, i do have some tips that may work.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 42.7%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 25 20.2%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 42 33.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%
Back