Help-Clown breathing fast

Jblaine

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a flurry clown fish that is in a QT tank with a few other fish. Noticed when I got home that he is breathing fast and on the bottom of the tank. All of the fish have been in the QT tank for almost a month and have t them a few weeks ago which ruby reef rally and kick ick. i don’t see any other signs of anything. Not sure what’s going on. ammonia is at zero. I will try to post a video. Thanks

OP
OP
Jblaine

Jblaine

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It gets clearer towards the end

Attachments

• IMG_4252.mov
    1.4 MB
Last edited:

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

pseudorand

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How did you measure ammonia?

I had a similar situation with QT where I thought ammonia was zero based on my API test kit. Then I got a Seachem Ammonia Alert, which told me it was a bit higher. The seachems claim to have a proprietary way to measure ammonia and measure a much smaller ammonia based on the labeling. I suspect ammonia from a poorly cycled QT was at fault in my case. The tank had been up for almost two months, but with just corals and inverts, it could handle the fish load when I switched it to fish.

Your fish have been in-tank with that load for a month, so ammonia seems less likely, but it never hurts to truly rule out the obvious causes.

Also, I'm no expert, but the general consensus I seemed to get when asking about the products that claim to be safe for your display tank was "skip em and use copper and parazipro in a QT".

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The video isn't super clear, the fish is breathing a bit fast, but I think I also see some erosion on its fin edges. Is the other clown bothering it? I can see a hepatus and a scopa tang, what else is in the tank?

Since you have the fish in quarantine, I would consider a full copper treatment as opposed to Kick Ich or Ruby Reef.

Jay

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Both those products would have little to no effect on parasites, which could be the case.
The fact that you used them gives me the impression you think that might be the case.
If you are unable to come to a diagnosis, I might consider Cupramine, but him only for now.

OP
OP
Jblaine

Jblaine

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How did you measure ammonia?

I had a similar situation with QT where I thought ammonia was zero based on my API test kit. Then I got a Seachem Ammonia Alert, which told me it was a bit higher. The seachems claim to have a proprietary way to measure ammonia and measure a much smaller ammonia based on the labeling. I suspect ammonia from a poorly cycled QT was at fault in my case. The tank had been up for almost two months, but with just corals and inverts, it could handle the fish load when I switched it to fish.

Your fish have been in-tank with that load for a month, so ammonia seems less likely, but it never hurts to truly rule out the obvious causes.

Also, I'm no expert, but the general consensus I seemed to get when asking about the products that claim to be safe for your display tank was "skip em and use copper and parazipro in a QT".
The video isn't super clear, the fish is breathing a bit fast, but I think I also see some erosion on its fin edges. Is the other clown bothering it? I can see a hepatus and a scopa tang, what else is in the tank?

Since you have the fish in quarantine, I would consider a full copper treatment as opposed to Kick Ich or Ruby Reef.

Jay
I also have yellow watchman goby and a yellow clown goby in the tank. I haven’t seen anything picking on it but I was wondering about it. I do have some cupramine but wasn’t sure if it would hurt him or anything else. For ammonia I use the RedSea test kit and have a Seachem alert Badge on the tank.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 44 20.4%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.4%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 159 73.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 4.6%
Back