Help! Clown Tang not eating

Reeferbadness

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All, I rarely have fish issues as most of my stock have been in my 2 tanks for years. I recently added a Clown Tang to a 180G established mix reef tank. The LFS said that the tang was eating mysis ( i should have had them show me this). The tank has a large adult emporer angel, 1 flame angel, 2 yellow tangs, 2 clown fish and a couple of other smaller mellow fish. It's been in my tank for almost 2 weeks now and rarely comes out of hiding. When it does,It does pick at the live rock and sand bottom but refuses to eat mysis. Feeding seaweed isn't really an option as the emperor Angel eats whole pieces in 2 or 3 bites. Any help with this would be great. I don't think i have much time left before it starves to death. Parameters are spot on (dKH 8.5, Calc 450, Phos 0.04, Nitrate 10, Mag 1350).

I knew it was a gamble with the emporer angel (AKA El Heffe - the boss) but the yellow tangs manage fine as do the other fish. I don't have a pic of the clown tang but here's El Heffe ]

IMG_3492.jpeg

0MNSH1ZLLC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love Clown Tangs but they are notorious for being hard to keep. I had my LFS order 2 for me that did not make it through the LFS quarantine.

Finally got mine and had the same problem. Emp harassed it a few times over the course of a day or 2 and it croaked.

I bought a Sohal Tang a month ago (same size as the angel) and I've had absolutely no issues between them.

Highly recommend the Sohal, beautiful fish, super personality, hardy and eats algae.

Might want to invest in an isolation box with the Emp and Sohal (or Clown Tang)

IMG_8412.jpg
if you plan on adding fish.

OP
OP
Reeferbadness

Reeferbadness

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love Clown Tangs but they are notorious for being hard to keep. I had my LFS order 2 for me that did not make it through the LFS quarantine.

Finally got mine and had the same problem. Emp harassed it a few times over the course of a day or 2 and it croaked.

I bought a Sohal Tang a month ago (same size as the angel) and I've had absolutely no issues between them.

Highly recommend the Sohal, beautiful fish, super personality, hardy and eats algae.

Might want to invest in an isolation box with the Emp and Sohal (or Clown Tang)

IMG_8412.jpg
if you plan on adding fish.
Thanks. Looks Sohol looks amazing and def a good match for El Heffe

OP
OP
Reeferbadness

Reeferbadness

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Try feeding on both ends of the tank?
I've been overfeeding and spreading the mysis around the tank. The clown tang picked at the mysis in the first few days and now seems completely uninterested, and this is when he is not hiding deep in the rockwork. I think his days are numbered and will likely try another tang.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 159 57.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.8%
Back