Help connecting Solenoid to Apex DC24 Bare Wire

Andrew Schubert

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My electrical skills are basically trail n' error until something works :). With that in mind, I was wondering if anyone could help me figure out why this isn't working. I'm trying to connect a 3/8" solenoid valve up to my co2 scrubber. I bought one of the DV24 to Bare Wire accessories and was planning on powering it through one of the 24VDC Accesory ports on my Energy Bar.

When I turn on the port that powers the solenoid I here a 'click' on the solenoid but then the whole Apex system shuts off and restarts. Not sure what I'm doing wrong, or maybe the solenoid isn't going to work. Any suggestions?

I purchased the 12VDC version of this solenoid...https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B013LM4RE8/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The solenoid has a blue and yellow wires, while the Apex cable has red and black. I tried both direction. One didn't work at all. But the other direction activate
IMG_20181201_170527.jpg
d the solenoid for a milisceond before shutting of the Apex. So I'm wondering if the solenoid just isn't compatible?

garbled

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is the power draw/requirement for that solenoid? It looks pretty beefy.

OP
OP
Andrew Schubert

Andrew Schubert

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is the power draw/requirement for that solenoid? It looks pretty beefy.
Specs on amazon say...

The coil uses alternating current and energizes at 12 volts DC; voltage range + or – 10%. 18 Watt power rating.

OP
OP
Andrew Schubert

Andrew Schubert

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yea i was wondering if that was an issue. AGain, I'm ignorant with this stuff. My thought was 12v is less than 24v so it should work. Maybe not

RussM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You shouldn’t attempt to power a 12v-rated device with 24 volts. You may have damaged the solenoid the first time you tried.

OP
OP
Andrew Schubert

Andrew Schubert

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You shouldn’t attempt to power a 12v-rated device with 24 volts. You may have damaged the solenoid the first time you tried.
Well I'm glad amazon has a good return policy then :). Guess I'll look else where for a 24V then. Thanks everyone!

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 100 76.9%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 11 8.5%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 17 13.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back