Help coral looks really bad! Keep it or toss it?

Reef Devils

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My LFS did not have any iodine dip so I ordered some and it is coming on Wednesday. But I took the coral out and blew the white stuff off. As I did that all of this brown stuff under it came off. I don’t want to add this back to my tank if it will cause more problems. What do you think should I make a thread about this?

IMG_1501.jpeg IMG_1500.jpeg

MoshJosh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I would put it back in the tank and leave it alone. It looks rough but not dead. I tend to leave corals in the tank until they are door nail dead. . .

If this coral is new to you it may be worth setting it in a lower light area to reduce stress, but if you have had it and it was doing well where it was I would just put it back.

OP
OP
Reef Devils

Reef Devils

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would put it back in the tank and leave it alone. It looks rough but not dead. I tend to leave corals in the tank until they are door nail dead. . .

If this coral is new to you it may be worth setting it in a lower light area to reduce stress, but if you have had it and it was doing well where it was I would just put it back.
Well sadly it was a little too late for that. Nobody responded to this thread until now a that was a problem earlier in the day. I tossed it because it smelled really bad and was getting worse every day. It was a new coral. The part that was not infected look good but the rest not. Thanks for responding though. What disease do you think it had?

OP
OP
Reef Devils

Reef Devils

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's probably just algae growing in the dead skeleton. It still has life but if it smells rotten it’s dying.
Yup it smelled rotten. I tossed it. Did a 10 gallon water change. Hope that helps. What u think

MoshJosh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Well sadly it was a little too late for that. Nobody responded to this thread until now a that was a problem earlier in the day. I tossed it because it smelled really bad and was getting worse every day. It was a new coral. The part that was not infected look good but the rest not. Thanks for responding though. What disease do you think it had?
It may not have had a specific, or at this point identifiable, disease. As @Lavey29 said it could have been algae growth, probably detritus too, that got blown off.

Another potential option could have been fragging the health part off and tossing the rest.

OP
OP
Reef Devils

Reef Devils

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It may not have had a specific, or at this point identifiable, disease. As @Lavey29 said it could have been algae growth, probably detritus too, that got blown off.

Another potential option could have been fragging the health part off and tossing the rest.
Yes that could have been an option but I don’t have the tools to drag it. How would you even drag a coral like that? It is not like a hammer where you can just cut the head off.

DJF

know less, learn more
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gryphon bandsaw is the proper tool; next best is a diamond wheel blade on a dremel or similar. Cut the dead part off then dip. (I pref iodine) Looking at this I would cut that circle into a half moon.

OP
OP
Reef Devils

Reef Devils

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gryphon bandsaw is the proper tool; next best is a diamond wheel blade on a dremel or similar. Cut the dead part off then dip (I pref iodine)
Ok good to know. If I ever have a problem like this again I will cut the dead part and do an iodine dip. I order some Lugols iodine for the future

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 35 16.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 6.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 28 13.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 122 57.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 14 6.6%
Back