Help corals dying and losing tissue!!

Reef Devils

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am just noticing that my white tissue at the base of some of my corals do not look good. My frogspawn is closed up but there is not a lot of white tissue at the base. Also my hammer coral has no white tissue at the base and it looks like it is starting to come out. Should I be worried? Am I going to lose this coral?

IMG_1431.jpeg IMG_1438.jpeg IMG_1434.jpeg image.jpg

The_Paradox

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you touched them today? This has been happening over sometime as the receded area is not bone white but shows signs of age. What it looks like is the coral was pseudo recently fragged but is now retracting due to a response from something in the water. First guess would be that Cyano and possible Dino outbreak. I’ll try to give some tips on how to fix it if you start a separate topic for that and tag it “emergency”.

OP
OP
Reef Devils

Reef Devils

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you touched them today? This has been happening over sometime as the receded area is not bone white but shows signs of age. What it looks like is the coral was pseudo recently fragged but is now retracting due to a response from something in the water. First guess would be that Cyano and possible Dino outbreak. I’ll try to give some tips on how to fix it if you start a separate topic for that and tag it “emergency”.
What do you mean by touched the today? This corals has been in my tank for about a month and has been opening great. I don’t honk I have any cyano or Dino’s in my tank. My parameters are looking good. Here is a pick of what it usually looks like.

Salinity 1.025
Mag 1350
Alk 8.5
Cal 470 nitrate 3.5
Phosphate 0.00
pH 8.0

IMG_1278.jpeg

OP
OP
Reef Devils

Reef Devils

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What u mean by starts a separate topic to help me outs I would love the help tho

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What do you mean by touched the today? This corals has been in my tank for about a month and has been opening great. I don’t honk I have any cyano or Dino’s in my tank. My parameters are looking good. Here is a pick of what it usually looks like.

Salinity 1.025
Mag 1350
Alk 8.5
Cal 470 nitrate 3.5
Phosphate 0.00
pH 8.0

IMG_1278.jpeg
They are starving. Nitrates and phosphates are WAY too low.

UMALUM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Salinity 1.025
Mag 1350
Alk 8.5
Cal 470 nitrate 3.5
Phosphate 0.00
pH 8.0

IMG_1278.jpeg
@The_Paradox just tell him theyre starving to death and get it over with.

OP
OP
Reef Devils

Reef Devils

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That will probably help with the phosphorus. Dosing would be a better approach but feeding is better than solid zeros. Just don’t go nuts with either.
Ok I will feed them some reef roids. Anything else you recommend? Will they grow back that white tissue on their own?

N1tew0lf1212

...Cronies Secretary...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How old is ur tank? Also you said you have had the hammer for a month what did it look like when you first bought it compared to now? Same questions for frogspawn. Lps can exhibit signs of bad water quality lighting or flow either immediately or it could take several weeks. Phosphate at 0 is begging for dinos tbh. Trying to help the best I can....I see you posting a lot and asking a lot of questions which is good and bad. Good that you are honestly trying to get this right. Bad because you can attract the wrong attention from people....what size is your tank? Do you have a sump? What chemical might you be using to control nutrients if any? What is your main export of nutrients? How often do you feed? There are a lot of things that can cause tissue recession and typically it happens over time even though the coral might look happy due to extension it could still be not happy. With that being said what have you changed recently if anything? With this last question even thinking back over the last month will be extremely important and helpful for anyone to be able to help.

The_Paradox

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok just fed reef roids to all of my corals for the first time. I am using the Hanna phosphate checker. Do you think I should get the low range phosphate checker? If the phosphate is not up by tomorrow I will feed more reef roids

Up to you and where you plan to keep phosphorus once it’s stable. If you plan to keep it under 30ppb then yes I personally would get the ULR checker. If not what you have is fine.

OP
OP
Reef Devils

Reef Devils

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How old is ur tank? Also you said you have had the hammer for a month what did it look like when you first bought it compared to now? Same questions for frogspawn. Lps can exhibit signs of bad water quality lighting or flow either immediately or it could take several weeks. Phosphate at 0 is begging for dinos tbh. Trying to help the best I can....I see you posting a lot and asking a lot of questions which is good and bad. Good that you are honestly trying to get this right. Bad because you can attract the wrong attention from people....what size is your tank? Do you have a sump? What chemical might you be using to control nutrients if any? What is your main export of nutrients? How often do you feed? There are a lot of things that can cause tissue recession and typically it happens over time even though the coral might look happy due to extension it could still be not happy. With that being said what have you changed recently if anything? With this last question even thinking back over the last month will be extremely important and helpful for anyone to be able to help.
Ok so where do I start.

My tank is 4 month old. When I got my hammer it looks like this pic below. It looked good yesterday but today it did not extend as much and that is when I noticed there was not a lot of tissue at the base of the coral. Frogspawn same thing there is a little more tissue though around it. Tank is a total of 90 gallons. Yes I have a sump with a Red Sea skimmer and a reef mat. I have a reef doser that I does cal, mag, and alk. I really have to do stuff though because I only have 10 corals. I feed my fish 1 time a day and feed corals maybe 1 time a week. I feed every rods fish food. Just feed reef roids to my corals for the first time. I added 2 new corals yesterday. A goniapora a a rock with zoas on it. I have 2 cleaner shrimp, 2 clowns and 4 Kupang damsels. I have been going back and forth with diatoms but I do not see and Dino’s. Yes, I know I asked a lot of questions but that’s because I care about my fish and corals and I want what’s best for them. I am new to the hobby and as a beginner you would think they would be asking lots of questions. I’m sure it is annoying to see me asking lots of questions so. I hope all this information helps. Let me know if you need any other information. Thank you.

OP
OP
Reef Devils

Reef Devils

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Up to you and where you plan to keep phosphorus once it’s stable. If you plan to keep it under 30ppb then yes I personally would get the ULR checker. If not what you have is fine.
What is that in ppm?

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is true. You started a new tank which results in unstable parameters and ugly phases. Now you have bottomed out nutrients and you wonder why your corals are dying? Corals die from the inside out. They can take weeks or months to show decline form starvation or other things off in new tanks. You will start to see everything dying off now and many of us have tried to provide you guidance which you seem to have ignored. I highly recommend you store your wallet until you learn to maintain a stable tank environment or you will have the emergency button on speed dial for quite awhile.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 33 16.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 27 13.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 119 58.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 13 6.4%
Back