OP
Reef Devils

Reef Devils

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is true. You started a new tank which results in unstable parameters and ugly phases. Now you have bottomed out nutrients and you wonder why your corals are dying? Corals die from the inside out. They can take weeks or months to show decline form starvation or other things off in new tanks. You will start to see everything dying off now and many of us have tried to provide you guidance which you seem to have ignored. I highly recommend you store your wallet until you learn to maintain a stable tank environment or you will have the emergency button on speed dial for quite awhile.
Ok but if I get my nitrate and phosphate up things should look better. All of my other parameters look good and stay stable except for nitrate and phosphate.

The_Paradox

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You know I am 15

You don’t know how many times a million goes into a billion? Or how to move a decimal place? Ok.

1. You know the old saying “thank a teacher”? In your case don’t.
2. Find the AP classes (they won’t be near yours) and give your tank to a nerd.

This is what the others were talking about. The complete lack of interest to learn or think for yourself. Don’t be lazy.

N1tew0lf1212

...Cronies Secretary...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so where do I start.

My tank is 4 month old. When I got my hammer it looks like this pic below. It looked good yesterday but today it did not extend as much and that is when I noticed there was not a lot of tissue at the base of the coral. Frogspawn same thing there is a little more tissue though around it. Tank is a total of 90 gallons. Yes I have a sump with a Red Sea skimmer and a reef mat. I have a reef doser that I does cal, mag, and alk. I really have to do stuff though because I only have 10 corals. I feed my fish 1 time a day and feed corals maybe 1 time a week. I feed every rods fish food. Just feed reef roids to my corals for the first time. I added 2 new corals yesterday. A goniapora a a rock with zoas on it. I have 2 cleaner shrimp, 2 clowns and 4 Kupang damsels. I have been going back and forth with diatoms but I do not see and Dino’s. Yes, I know I asked a lot of questions but that’s because I care about my fish and corals and I want what’s best for them. I am new to the hobby and as a beginner you would think they would be asking lots of questions. I’m sure it is annoying to see me asking lots of questions so. I hope all this information helps. Let me know if you need any other information. Thank you.
Being new to the Hobby I suggest maybe some basic corals to start out with so you can understand water parameters and what it takes to control them. It might not be the things that you want to hear currently but it does take a lot to get the understanding of your tank. As far as for the hammer and the frogspawn it could be a number of things flow lighting nutrients could have some kind of bacterial infection that is transferring to your LPS slowly. I understand getting into the hobby corals look so appealing but without proper practice and knowledge things can fall rather quickly. I am not saying that you haven't done your research. But I am saying that knowledge comes with experience and we have all been there. I feed my fish twice a day two cubes of a variety of things. I also implement a coral food into every feeding to ensure that everything is being fed since I don't Target feed. A lot of people will tell you slow and steady wins the race and again it might not be what you want to hear but take it from me I have lost corals I have some that are thriving I have some that I still have yet to completely understand all I know is that I keep my parameters consistent every day. I tested every day for months to be able to figure out what my tank consumes what my tank doesn't consume and to make sure that my parameters were stable. Even adding corals now I test for the first couple of days to make sure that there isn't any swings in those parameters. Again please do not take this post the wrong way as I am sincerely trying to help. But you will lose more Coral is that it is inevitable it happens there is a lot of corals I no longer have that were starter corals that I learned a lesson on. So with that being said rent a par meter get your levels at a stable parameter with no swings phosphate levels up nitrate consistent regardless of what you dose or what you feed and you will be able to start seeing success. I hope this helps and please feel free to reach out anytime via personal message and I will do my best to assist you.

OP
OP
Reef Devils

Reef Devils

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You don’t know how many times a million goes into a billion? Or how to move a decimal place? Ok.

1. You know the old saying “thank a teacher”? In your case don’t.
2. Find the AP classes (they won’t be near yours) and give your tank to a nerd.

This is what the others were talking about. The complete lack of interest to learn or think for yourself. Don’t be lazy.
yes I do and I already calculated it. I am taking 2 AP classes. I do most of my research on my own but sometimes I can’t find answer so I come here or see what people have to say.

OP
OP
Reef Devils

Reef Devils

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Being new to the Hobby I suggest maybe some basic corals to start out with so you can understand water parameters and what it takes to control them. It might not be the things that you want to hear currently but it does take a lot to get the understanding of your tank. As far as for the hammer and the frogspawn it could be a number of things flow lighting nutrients could have some kind of bacterial infection that is transferring to your LPS slowly. I understand getting into the hobby corals look so appealing but without proper practice and knowledge things can fall rather quickly. I am not saying that you haven't done your research. But I am saying that knowledge comes with experience and we have all been there. I feed my fish twice a day two cubes of a variety of things. I also implement a coral food into every feeding to ensure that everything is being fed since I don't Target feed. A lot of people will tell you slow and steady wins the race and again it might not be what you want to hear but take it from me I have lost corals I have some that are thriving I have some that I still have yet to completely understand all I know is that I keep my parameters consistent every day. I tested every day for months to be able to figure out what my tank consumes what my tank doesn't consume and to make sure that my parameters were stable. Even adding corals now I test for the first couple of days to make sure that there isn't any swings in those parameters. Again please do not take this post the wrong way as I am sincerely trying to help. But you will lose more Coral is that it is inevitable it happens there is a lot of corals I no longer have that were starter corals that I learned a lesson on. So with that being said rent a par meter get your levels at a stable parameter with no swings phosphate levels up nitrate consistent regardless of what you dose or what you feed and you will be able to start seeing success. I hope this helps and please feel free to reach out anytime via personal message and I will do my best to assist you.
I totally under stand. Thanks for the help. I am going to reach out to you in a private message.

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok but if I get my nitrate and phosphate up things should look better. All of my other parameters look good and stay stable except for nitrate and phosphate.
It's not just that. The complete biome has to develop and establish. I tried to add corals early to in an unstable environment and most didn't make it. You need to slow down and let the tank build its biome. Focus on stability but building the biodiversity and microfauna. This will eventually lead to healthy corals. The key to this hobby is patience. Right now you don't have the key but you can develop this trait with time.

OP
OP
Reef Devils

Reef Devils

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's not just that. The complete biome has to develop and establish. I tried to add corals early to in an unstable environment and most didn't make it. You need to slow down and let the tank build its biome. Focus on stability but building the biodiversity and microfauna. This will eventually lead to healthy corals. The key to this hobby is patience. Right now you don't have the key but you can develop this trait with time.
Ok I am not going to the fish store for a while. I will let my tank mature. How long until you think it will be ready?

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok I am not going to the fish store for a while. I will let my tank mature. How long until you think it will be ready?
Well that is debatable because each tank is unique. Work on your biodiversity. Add pods and phytoplankton. Dose beneficial heterotrophic bacteria like PNS probio. Work through your upcoming ugly stages without adding harsh chemicals. Get your true par numbers by renting a par meter. Weekly water changes are essential on a new tank. Test everything weekly so you have baseline numbers to work with. Keep nitrates 10 to 15 and phosphate. 05 to .1. My tank had its evolution after one year. Everything became much more stable and predictable.

OP
OP
Reef Devils

Reef Devils

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well that is debatable because each tank is unique. Work on your biodiversity. Add pods and phytoplankton. Dose beneficial heterotrophic bacteria like PNS probio. Work through your upcoming ugly stages without adding harsh chemicals. Get your true par numbers by renting a par meter. Weekly water changes are essential on a new tank. Test everything weekly so you have baseline numbers to work with. Keep nitrates 10 to 15 and phosphate. 05 to .1. My tank had its evolution after one year. Everything became much more stable and predictable.
Ok I will get some pods and phytoplankton. I will try and rent a par meter. But why should I do weakly water changes if my nitrate and phosphate are so low? Don’t I want those to build up and then do a water change?

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok I will get some pods and phytoplankton. I will try and rent a par meter. But why should I do weakly water changes if my nitrate and phosphate are so low? Don’t I want those to build up and then do a water change?
Because water changes keep everything in balance like trace elements not just nitrates and phosphate. Between 4 and 8 months I had to double dose neophos and neonitro to get measurable numbers. It's just part of the tank instability that you need to manage.

OP
OP
Reef Devils

Reef Devils

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well kudos to you young man for taking on this challenging hobby but you got to be patient and build it. It's not going to happen overnight but you will get there.

Yup I know. I have realize that I have been moving too quickly and need to let my tank establish. I am going to listen to you. I am fascinated with all of life in the ocean and I wanted to start a tank of my own. My uncle had a big 400 gallon tank and I loved it. I started off, not knowing much, but I have learned a lot. I know I am not an expert so I should listen to you. Tanks for the help. Do you think it would be good if I remove some of these corals to a buddy’s tank that is more established? Maybe he could try and keep these corals while my tank establishes. Thanks

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The best thing you can do right now for your tank is get your nutrients up. Dose neophos and neonitro. Feed more, feed corals more. Keep nitrates 10 to 15 and phosphate. 05 to .1 and weekly 10 to 15% water changes.

OP
OP
Reef Devils

Reef Devils

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The best thing you can do right now for your tank is get your nutrients up. Dose neophos and neonitro. Feed more, feed corals more. Keep nitrates 10 to 15 and phosphate. 05 to .1 and weekly 10 to 15% water changes.
Will do. Thanks

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yup I know. I have realize that I have been moving too quickly and need to let my tank establish. I am going to listen to you. I am fascinated with all of life in the ocean and I wanted to start a tank of my own. My uncle had a big 400 gallon tank and I loved it. I started off, not knowing much, but I have learned a lot. I know I am not an expert so I should listen to you. Tanks for the help. Do you think it would be good if I remove some of these corals to a buddy’s tank that is more established? Maybe he could try and keep these corals while my tank establishes. Thanks
That's not a bad option temporarily or you can try to help them turn around in your tank.

OP
OP
Reef Devils

Reef Devils

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's not a bad option temporarily or you can try to help them turn around in your tank.
Yup I will see what he says. Maybe I will jays give him the corals that don’t look good.

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You will get there it just takes time and commitment. Trust me, we have all been there right where you are now.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 39 15.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 15 6.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 144 58.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 18 7.3%
Back