Help cotton candy algae taking over

Gfridley

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have read numerous threads from numerous sites and have yet to conquer this algae. I have put the rocks in the dark for three days, I have tried numerous suggested fish, crabs and sea slugs and still it persists. Any assistance would be appreciated. Thanks

Csr1978

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are your test readings? Ammonia, Nitrate, Phosphate, All, Cal, pH? How old is the tank? Is there new dry rock in the tank?

OP
OP
G

Gfridley

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank is a 150 gallon with a 75 gallon sump. I run a calcium reactor and skimmer. I have an auto feeder and do frozen once a day. I don't think that I overfeed. I follow maxim of only feeding enough that the fish will consume in a couple of minutes. My tank parameters are all within the normal range. The Nitrates were low presumably due to the algae uptaking them . I have a sump with chaeto in it as well as feather calerpa. The tank is two years old as well as the rock. The problem began to surface after I treated for flatworms. I got rid of the flatworms and then a few months later the algae began to appear. At first I ignored it and then I began the process of removing it. This seemed to just spur it on. I then tried the other methods. I have not tried any chemicals or other biological treatments.

motortrendz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nitrate, phosphate number, what type of lighting and schedule? Types of mechanical filtration chemicals, media used would really help.

OP
OP
G

Gfridley

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I purchased some Vibrant and added it two days ago. I have already noticed a difference as the algae are turning brown and shriveling up. I will report back as time goes on. This is the most hopeful I have been. I don't currently have any chaeto in the system so I am not worried about the effect Vibrant has on macro algae. Thank you Scorpius for your post!

Hemmdog

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I purchased some Vibrant and added it two days ago. I have already noticed a difference as the algae are turning brown and shriveling up. I will report back as time goes on. This is the most hopeful I have been. I don't currently have any chaeto in the system so I am not worried about the effect Vibrant has on macro algae. Thank you Scorpius for your post!
It’s good stuff, glad it’s working for you.

ipWitan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you provide an update on whether the cotton candy algae is going? Looking for a remedy and cannot find one. Researching using Vibrant...

TIA

DAG

Back