Help!!! Cynarina coral showing skeleton

Nathan Nguyen

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys,

Please help I don’t know why my pink cynarina not opening and showing the skeleton in two days. I have it about over a week and it’d been doing fine. It’s expensive so please advise what I should do to save it.

Nitrate: Zero (was 10ppm last week but today i tested it dropped down)
Phosphate: .17
Mg: 1350
Kh: 9.3-9.6
Ca: 450

Photos are Before and Now

IMG_5357.jpeg IMG_5574.jpeg

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Perhaps the light is to bright?
I've not had great luck with these either.

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feel your pain. I wish I could offer some assistance. I had mine for a several years years and it went from this
20230403_125341.jpg

To this overnight
20230810_124646.jpg

I pulled it and did an iodine dip but it didn't make it. I know as hard as it can be to accept, sometimes things in our tanks just die and we are never able to figure out why. This is especially true when it's a single piece while everything else is doing fine.

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I set the light to be around 80 to 150 par. This making me so upset. Not sure if its the bright light cause its not bleaching but shrunk and showing the skeleton
I doubt it was too much light. Mine was kept around 150 - 200 and thrived till it didn't :crying-face:

Mr_Knightley

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Once they get to this point it's an uphill battle to get them better, but it's possible. I advise an iodine dip for 15-20 minutes (follow the instructions), then place the coral in a low light area and observe. They can take up nutrients through their skin, so adding some amino acids to the tank wouldn't be a bad idea either. Watch for more recession, if you see any do another iodine dip and leave it for a little longer. If not, keep an eye out for inflation and a closed mouth.
these guys are like livestock, they mask their illnesses until the very last minute. Also like livestock, they have to be babied all the way to full recovery. I have lost three this year by not keeping up with dips, of course my two favorites were included.

Mr_Knightley

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We don't know what causes this instant death syndrome, but it may be related to malnutrition. These corals get a majority of their nutrients through direct feeding, and in most tanks they just don't get enough to eat. In nature, they settle in rock crevices where rotting fish matter and marine snow are constantly collecting, but most aquariums they're lucky if a couple pellets land near enough to slurp up. I've been keeping mine fat with bi-nightly feedings, and it seems to help.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 41 22.8%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 60 33.3%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 58 32.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 17 9.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.2%
Back