Help deciding on a lighting for my 150 gallon (60x 24 x24) - Budget is $600

Reef AquaCult

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yep 3 T247-B lights on sale at $180 each comes to $540 = $35 bucks cheaper than the Noopsynche option. But no ramping up/down. And no warranty - that I can find.
The Wifi BBs have ramp up and ramp down with the ability to modify intensity and spectrum hourly.

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was wondering about the Reef Pi - I dont know what that is, but have seen it on a few posts.
It’s diy reef tank controller. If you are up for some electronics/computer stuff then it can be an option. You have to mod the lights , but they’ll be controllable at the end, and you can do stuff like diurnal cycle or other types of light simulation (linear ramp up, sine curve etc )

OP
OP
acer

acer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well- Being nearly 60 years old I may struggle with that DIY.

It seems for the extra $50 (compared to the Ocean Revive) and Cheaper by $25 than the Photon50 V2+ the Noopsyche is looking like the winner so far as it ramps up/down, is more versatile if I end up with a different tank down the road, and if I loose one K7 I have three more to cover until it is fixed. I do wish I could see these lights in person though.

Plan: Four K7's (7 long x 5 wide x 1.5 inches thick) in a front to back position ( they are supposed to cover 18" x 18" ). So starting about 9 inches from the ends of the tank - then 5 inches for the fixture itseft, then space of 8 inches, then the next 2 K7's on each side =
9"( space) -5 (fixture1)- 8(space)-5(fixture2)-6(space)-5(fixture3)-8(space)-5(fixture4)-9( space) = 60 inches

Since the canopy is 24 inches front to back (inside dimension), I still have room to put at least one 48 inch T5 on the front and back of the tank if I need it because the Noopsyche fixtures are so small.

Last edited:

Dierks

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So... Did you end up going with the Noopsyche's? How do you like them? I am looking to replace my AI Hydra's and am thinking that these seem like they have the same setup as the AI Hydra 26's with a sleeker design... I am torn as there just are so many options, even when you are on a budget.

OP
OP
acer

acer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nope, I ended up using older SB lights , continuing to use the older Reefbreeder v24 and the par isn't great anymore. If you search for my build threats my current setup is posted. I am still looking to replace the Reefbreeder as it's getting oldabd has iffy par.The Noops just have too many question's. Different websites have different prices and info some insist they are officially UL rated but all are made in China in the same plant. At 95 watts I question the coverage/spread. Etc. They don't have a long track record - so how will they do on longevity, warranty, etc.

OP
OP
acer

acer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So... Did you end up going with the Noopsyche's? How do you like them? I am looking to replace my AI Hydra's and am thinking that these seem like they have the same setup as the AI Hydra 26's with a sleeker design... I am torn as there just are so many options, even when you are on a budget.
Did you ever decide - I am still looking.

OP
OP
acer

acer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, I finally purchased 2 used G4xr30 pro's, pick them up tomorrow. Between them, the 2 SB basic fixtures and my 2x24" T5's I should be able to work out a great lighting schedule to keep any coral. No I did not stay in budget... Lol

Ingenuity against algae: Do you use DIY methods for controlling nuisance algae?

• I have used DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 40 47.6%
  • I use commercial methods for controlling algae, but never DIY methods.

Votes: 19 22.6%
  • I have not used commercial or DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 19 22.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 7.1%
Back