Help deciding on my next tank:)

gabesreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So it’s between a Red Sea reefer 250 (54g) or an innovative marine 50 lagoon ext(50g) with a Fiji 24 sump. I’m downgrading from a reefer 350 because it’s just to heavy to be moving and I want something smaller. So I like the depth and height of the IM but I know length is more important for fish. Also the custom sump/plumbing would be nice rather then the basic reefer plumbing. What do you guys think. Does anyone know how much the glass of these tanks weighs? What are your thoughts?

xxkenny90xx

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree, length is the most important factor. But if your looking for something lighter I would get an acrylic tank

OP
OP
gabesreef

gabesreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t know about acrylic I’m worried about scratches. The IM glass weights 99lbs and the RS is 115 so not much of a difference but I think that the IM aluminum stand and getting an acrylic sump will be not only lighter weight but better quality. Also the “useable” space inside the tank seems to go more towards the IM since there no large overflow box getting in the way.

xxkenny90xx

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ya, acrylic does scratch a bit easier. But on the plus side you can buff the scratches out of acrylic.

Pistol Peet

Reefing , family ,God, country.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So it’s between a Red Sea reefer 250 (54g) or an innovative marine 50 lagoon ext(50g) with a Fiji 24 sump. I’m downgrading from a reefer 350 because it’s just to heavy to be moving and I want something smaller. So I like the depth and height of the IM but I know length is more important for fish. Also the custom sump/plumbing would be nice rather then the basic reefer plumbing. What do you guys think. Does anyone know how much the glass of these tanks weighs? What are your thoughts?
I would go to the Red Sea reefer or Innovative Marine for sure I'm a little biased because I own an XXL 750 from Red Sea but I've always loved the Innovative Marine tank they are super nice

Pistol Peet

Reefing , family ,God, country.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would go to the Red Sea reefer or Innovative Marine for sure I'm a little biased because I own an XXL 750 from Red Sea but I've always loved the Innovative Marine tank they are super nice
Innovative Marine tanks are also budget-friendly

OP
OP
gabesreef

gabesreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Innovative Marine tanks are also budget-friendly
Yeah after working it up I save about $200. Not enough to swing me in either direction, but right now I’m leaning in the direction of the IM. After have a RS 350 I was not impressed with the stand or plumbing.

Sold4jc7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 66.7%
2   1   0
I like the IM 50 ext. The external overflow is a nice feature. You have so much more room in the tank with an external overflow.

Back