HELP - Derasa Clam Hinge issues!!!

SaltLife77

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Sep 4, 2021
Messages
86
Reaction score
84
Location
North Ridgeville
What state or country do you live in
Ohio
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi there!

I have a 2 year old Derasa Clam and it's hinge is partially disconnected. I have heard legend of making a prosthetic hinge, can anyone offer advice? I uploaded a pic, it's the larger clam. It's still opening and closing per norm. Tank parameters stable, no additions to the tank etc.

Any advice is appreciated!!!!! Thank you!

Sincerely,

Panicked in Cleveland
1000021514.jpg
 
I lost my derasa to a broken hinge. It sucked because it was the first clam I was able to keep alive long term. It grew from a little 2 incher to over 6" in a year and a half. I talked to a few people online that had tried different methods to make a type of prosthetic but I was not able to find anyone who had success for any period of time so I did not attempt it.
 
No intervention I tried was successful, unfortunately. Keeping it stable and not manipulating in any way is your best bet.
 
Update:

The clam is hanging in there. Appears to be eating, reactive to stimuli like normal. The hinge is not completely apart, just slightly. So far, it has only been misaligned once. I adjusted it and it hasn't misaligned since. I also put some stabilizing rocks around it, so that it can still open but doesn't fall over or anything.

I DID find a video on how to make a prosthetic hinge, and I have the tools to do it; however, I am not going to go that route unless I think it is absolutely necessary. The clam (Bosley) seems to be happy and chilling. I work from home so I can check on it fairly routinely. He has growth on the shell too, seems to be doing well. Fingers crossed!
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 5 3.8%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 10 7.6%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 25 18.9%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 42 31.8%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 0.8%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 10 7.6%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 10 7.6%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 20 15.2%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 9 6.8%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new