I have a new clam have some questions.

Hunchy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so, I just recently bought a nice healthy Derasa clam. it started opening up the next day after putting in my tank and after 3 days completely opens up and is beautiful. I dosed live phytoplankton and AF Amino Elixer. I came back to my office 30 min later to see its "hole" (not sure of the anatomical name lol) wide open I'm guessing to allow for more filter feeding of the phyto. and Amino Acids in the water column. really asking for re-assurance and to make sure it's a good sign and not a sign of stress. =)
Much appreciated for all responses and any other cool, helpful clam related info!
Cheers and Happy Reefing
P.S. my Tank is a year old, very stable, and I've done LOTS of research on clams prior to buying this clam. Just looking for reassurance more than anything.

-First picture is the following morning i added to my tank so 2 days ago.

-Second photo is now 30 min after dosing phyto and Aquaforest Amino Elixer

Temp- 79.5
Salinity- 1.025
ph- 7.9
Alk- 9.5
Ca- 400
Mg- 1360
no3- 5-10 ppm
po4- >1ppm

20231209_155620.jpg 20231210_152457.jpg

Last edited:

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the tag, @Reefkeepers Archive

As you may have noticed, your Derasa clam has 2 holes in the mantel cavity: the one that looks like a mouth is called the “inhalent“ or incurrent siphon. This is where they inhale water for respiration and feeding.

The hole that looks like a chimney is called the “exhalent“ or excurrent siphon. That is where the water exits.

These siphons can change shapes independently, for sometimes seemingly no reason. It’s normal and just clams being clams. The only sign you should pay attention to is if the inhalent siphon is gaping very wide. It’s usually a sign it is sick or stressed.

This is the inhalent siohon in your clam:

IMG_7706.jpeg

Fortunately for you, Derasa clams are very resilient and hardy. They don’t depend much on external feeding. Although they can derive some nutrition from it, they predominantly acquire their energy from their symbiotic relationship with the dinoflagellate, zooxanthellae, which basically means they are photosynthetic.

The best advice I can give you is maintain alkalinity from 7-11dKh, and ensure it receives about 200-300 par. It will be very happy and grow very large one day.

Enjoy your clam. :)

Last edited:
OP
OP
H

Hunchy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

As you may have noticed, your Derasa clam has 2 holes in the mantel cavity: the one that looks like a mouth is called the “inhalent“ or incurrent siphon. This is where they inhale water for respiration and feeding.

The hole that looks like a chimney is called the “exhalent“ or excurrent siphon. That is where the water exits.

These siphons can change shapes independently, for sometimes seemingly no reason. It’s normal and just clams being clams. The only sign you should pay attention to is if the inhalent siphon is gaping very wide. It’s usually a sign it is sick or stressed.

IMG_7706.jpeg

Fortunately for you, Derasa clams are very resilient and hardy. They don’t depend much on external feeding. Although they can derive some nutrition from it, they predominantly acquire their energy from their symbiotic relationship with the dinoflagellate, zooxanthellae, which basically means they are photosynthetic.

The best advice I can give you is maintain alkalinity from 7-11dKh, and ensure it receives about 200-300 par. It will be very happy and grow very large one day.

Awesome thanks!! Its getting about 150 par atm cause i dont wanna blast it out right im also about to move corals out of QT to my display in about a week and then imma hit acclimation mode when it gets to 100% where he is will be abot 215-220 par and when i get paid im adding two 21 in grow blades which will bring him up to a good 300 par

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome thanks!! Its getting about 150 par atm cause i dont wanna blast it out right im also about to move corals out of QT to my display in about a week and then imma hit acclimation mode when it gets to 100% where he is will be abot 215-220 par and when i get paid im adding two 21 in grow blades which will bring him up to a good 300 par
About 250 par is their sweet spot. They can tolerate 300 par as well. :)

minus9

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
You can safely add more intensity for your clam without issue, maybe take a few days to get to 200+ micro moles, but get there sooner rather than later. Definitely buy the book I listed above if you haven't done so already? It's full of great information and will answer a lot of your questions.
Oh, and congrats on your new clams. Welcome to the club! Cheers!

OP
OP
H

Hunchy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can safely add more intensity for your clam without issue, maybe take a few days to get to 200+ micro moles, but get there sooner rather than later. Definitely buy the book I listed above if you haven't done so already? It's full of great information and will answer a lot of your questions.
Oh, and congrats on your new clams. Welcome to the club! Cheers!
Awesome ill check it out

OP
OP
H

Hunchy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

IMG_7706.jpeg

hey so my clam is opening up and everything but the inhilation hole is opening VERY wide. and im a lil worried all my peramiters are spot on and the PAR in its spot is about 200. I put my light on aclimation mode for 20 days starting at 60% intensity its an xr-15 pro over a 40 gal cube. i dosed AF amino elixer and live phyto this morning 2 hours b4 lights on but im cocerned its maby stressed? its REALLY open

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hey so my clam is opening up and everything but the inhilation hole is opening VERY wide. and im a lil worried all my peramiters are spot on and the PAR in its spot is about 200. I put my light on aclimation mode for 20 days starting at 60% intensity its an xr-15 pro over a 40 gal cube. i dosed AF amino elixer and live phyto this morning 2 hours b4 lights on but im cocerned its maby stressed? its REALLY open
Do you have a picture? I think it’s fine. It can open siphon tubes pretty wide without it being an issue. I’d like the see a photo.

minus9

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have several clams that will open wide at any given time, this is normal behavior. Gaping is another issue and comes with other symptoms, unresponsive, retracted mantle, etc If it’s gaping for several days and doesn’t change, then I would be concerned, but I think you’re fine.

OP
OP
H

Hunchy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have a picture? I think it’s fine. It can open siphon tubes pretty wide without it being an issue. I’d like the see a photo.
I turned the aclimation from 60% to 70% to help give it a lil more light since taking this. I was just trying to acclimate and stay on the side of cation for the corals i put in yesterday

Attachments

• 20231212_141116.jpg
    20231212_141116.jpg
    127 KB · Views: 44

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I turned the aclimation from 60% to 70% to help give it a lil more light since taking this. I was just trying to acclimate and stay on the side of cation for the corals i put in yesterday
It looks great!

Not my photo: this is what you don’t want to see. The clam will look like something stretched out its siphon hole. Once the clam starts receding into its shell, it’s a goner.

IMG_7742.jpeg

OP
OP
H

Hunchy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It looks great!

Not my photo: this is what you don’t want to see. The clam will look like something stretched out its siphon hole. Once the clam starts receding into its shell, it’s a goner.

IMG_7742.jpeg
Awesome really appreciate the help my clam definitely responds quickly when waving hand under the light and comes right back out and closes up tight at night and had a nice white rim of new growth and the colors have actually seemed to be better after this week of having it didn't have much of the blues at the LFS just looked brown there. thanks for all the input made me less worried lol

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back