Should I prop this derasa up?

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been keeping clams less than 2 years so still learning. I have this derasa that is getting pretty big. It moves around a little and blows sand onto piles. Few days ago it started leaning over and is now almost completely on its side. It's extending its mantle quite a bit but less on top. My instinct tells me it moved like that by choice so I should leave it be but am not really sure
PXL_20240308_181046339.jpg
. What say those of you with more clam keeping experience, leave it be or prop it up?

Tub Life

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it leaning towards a light source?
Is it leaning away from flow?

How big is that guy?
In the past when I had a derasa it would stay upright. They typically have a broad enough base to stay put.

I would agree with ronnie and try repositioning it, even just rotating it can make a difference.
I see you have a sandbed, but can't tell how deep it is. It will definitely have an easier time staying up if it has some sand under it, kind of like sitting on a cushion, if you get what I mean.

OP
OP
exnisstech

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine keeps laying itself over. Not as much as yours, but definitely leaning. I’d say try to straighten it up a few times in different spots and see if you can find it a happy spot.

Is it leaning towards a light source?
Is it leaning away from flow?

How big is that guy?
In the past when I had a derasa it would stay upright. They typically have a broad enough base to stay put.

I would agree with ronnie and try repositioning it, even just rotating it can make a difference.
I see you have a sandbed, but can't tell how deep it is. It will definitely have an easier time staying up if it has some sand under it, kind of like sitting on a cushion, if you get what I mean.

Thanks.
I'll try propping it up. It has been in this spot for over a year and is at least twice a big as it was, maybe 5-6 inches and has a huge new growth area and never gapes. That area is pretty well lit (300 par) and it really doesn't seem to be trying to move into or out of the light. I haven't changed lighting in over a year. Flow is moderate closer to low. Not even enough to really lift the mantle. It has always moved around a bit but usually it just rotates. There is sand on that end of the tank but only an inch or so. Everything in this tank will be coming over to a new tank soon and it is bare bottom so I'm going to have to build a rock to hold the derasa so I guess now is a good time to do that.

OP
OP
exnisstech

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I propped it up with a rock for now. I wonder when these guys loose theirs byssus gland? This one was attached but it has been months since I have checked it. Maybe it has detached recently and not used to not being attached :thinking-face:
PXL_20240308_230552322.jpg

Last edited:

minus9

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I think placing a piece of rock next to it is good enough and yes, they lose their byssal attachment when pretty small. They'll start to put shell growth/mass at the bottom of their shells, which will keep them upright and in place.

GlassMunky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
have you checked that the hinge is still attached?
My old derasa, when it snapped its hinge, started falling over to the side alot.
dunno what makes them snap their hinge but when it happens its usually only a matter of time before their slow demise.

Hopefully this is NOT that but just wanted to throw it out there as something to keep an eye for as a possibility in the future.

OP
OP
exnisstech

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My old derasa, when it snapped its hinge, started falling over to the side alot.
dunno what makes them snap their hinge but when it happens its usually only a matter of time before their slow demise.

Hopefully this is NOT that but just wanted to throw it out there as something to keep an eye for as a possibility in the future.
Hopefully not. I wouldn't think it is something like but will keep vans eye on it. It has been in the same spot on the sand for over a year and nothing in the tank that could move it.

OP
OP
exnisstech

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Well unfortunately you called it correctly. It fell over again and the shell is not lining up. I picked it up and the hinge is broken and just the flesh inside holding it together.
I'm almost ready to start moving stuff out of this tank into my new one. I thought about just pulling it but haven't decided. It's not like it will nuke the tank but I'm not a fan of watching things perish that have no chance of recovery.
EDIT to remove comment

GlassMunky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well unfortunately you called it correctly. It fell over again and the shell is not lining up. I picked it up and the hinge is broken and just the flesh inside holding it together.
I'm almost ready to start moving stuff out of this tank into my new one. I thought about just pulling it but haven't decided. It's not like it will nuke the tank but I'm not a fan of watching things perish that have no chance of recovery.
EDIT to remove comment
Dang man sorry to hear that :crying-face:
Mesh and super glue may hold it together?
I tried multiple types of “band-aids” including mesh and glue, rubber tire pieces and glue, etc. it helps for a little bit but they can’t ever fix the broken hinge and will eventually die from it. Sucks.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 14.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 84 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.4%
Back