Help designing my second reef system

HarryC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm upgrading from my 29 gallon mixed reef into a bigger system. I have the 90 gallon, and the 70 gallon, but will need to build the sump. I've got a local acrylic company in mind once I get my plans ironed out. My first system is an AIO. This will be my first sumo system. I have a very nice reef octopus skimmer rated for 200 gallons I'll be using. Any input or help would be greatly appreciated, in the R&D stages now. I want the main mixed reef running during the day, and the mandarin mushroom tank running at night. I'm not set on sump size. Rough draft of design included along with dimensions of the two tanks.
IMG_0406.JPG

OP
OP
HarryC

HarryC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why seperate the two display tanks?
I've Got a pair of mandarins I like to spoil and I want to build a tank designed entirely around their needs. I've also always wanted a mushroom tank heavily planted with macros as a display fuge. The low flow environment that will do best for a mushroom only tank will also be the best place for my tsibe pods to flourish. I, currently culturing pods for them and seeding the tank weekly... this system would allow me to get rid of the pod culture in the garage. I work rotating shifts and am up different hours depending on the week and I'd love having a tank lit up whenever I'm home. Really thought a lot about my livestock and this is the direction I want to take :)

OP
OP
HarryC

HarryC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My current 29 gallon system is going in my wife's office as a nem/clown only tank. My RBTA are in a hurry to take it over

Peach02

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've Got a pair of mandarins I like to spoil and I want to build a tank designed entirely around their needs. I've also always wanted a mushroom tank heavily planted with macros as a display fuge. The low flow environment that will do best for a mushroom only tank will also be the best place for my tsibe pods to flourish. I, currently culturing pods for them and seeding the tank weekly... this system would allow me to get rid of the pod culture in the garage. I work rotating shifts and am up different hours depending on the week and I'd love having a tank lit up whenever I'm home. Really thought a lot about my livestock and this is the direction I want to take :)
fair enough, sounds like a plan. is this going to be a build thread? The only advice I would have is aesthetically bringing the mixed reef closer to the edge of the cabnet, raising the mandarin tank for easier viewing but I'm not sure how your going to light the mandarin tank

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 150 88.8%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.3%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.8%
Back