Help diagnosing my royal gramma?

DaReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everybody!

My royal gramma has been flashing and "yawning" recently and so I'm trying to figure out what the problem might be. He's eating very well and seems to be acting normal, except for the flashing and yawning. I've noticed some white spots on his fins, as well as some scales missing from the sides of his body (likely due to the scratching). I assumed it was flukes but after a first round of prazipro and waiting a week there is no change.
I'm definitely still going ahead with a second round of prazi just in case, but I'm worried if maybe this could be ich instead?
I have a cardinalfish in the tank as well who has no symptoms at all. Additionally, the water parameters are pretty good (nitrates 1-2ppm, phosphates ~0.05ppm). Any help is greatly appreciated!

20220104_133537.jpg 20220104_133458.jpg 20220104_132918.jpg

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everybody!

My royal gramma has been flashing and "yawning" recently and so I'm trying to figure out what the problem might be. He's eating very well and seems to be acting normal, except for the flashing and yawning. I've noticed some white spots on his fins, as well as some scales missing from the sides of his body (likely due to the scratching). I assumed it was flukes but after a first round of prazipro and waiting a week there is no change.
I'm definitely still going ahead with a second round of prazi just in case, but I'm worried if maybe this could be ich instead?
I have a cardinalfish in the tank as well who has no symptoms at all. Additionally, the water parameters are pretty good (nitrates 1-2ppm, phosphates ~0.05ppm). Any help is greatly appreciated!

20220104_133537.jpg 20220104_133458.jpg 20220104_132918.jpg

I see some suspicious diffuse spots on the fish's caudal fin - that looks like ich.
It is possible that the gramma has ich and flukes at the same time.

Do you have a treatment tank available?

Jay hemdal

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
@Jay Hemdal
How long have you had the fish?
Another other additions?
Any other fish in the tank sick?

OP
OP
D

DaReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see some suspicious diffuse spots on the fish's caudal fin - that looks like ich.
It is possible that the gramma has ich and flukes at the same time.

Do you have a treatment tank available?

Jay hemdal
Yeah the spots on the caudal fin are what made me think it might be ich. I do have a hospital tank I can use, however catching it will be tricky. I may have to do this though.

OP
OP
D

DaReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Jay Hemdal
How long have you had the fish?
Another other additions?
Any other fish in the tank sick?
I've had the gramma for about 6 months, with no new fish since. My only other fish in the tank (cardinalfish) is not showing any symptoms.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had the gramma for about 6 months, with no new fish since. My only other fish in the tank (cardinalfish) is not showing any symptoms.
With ich, not all of the fish may come down with it at one time, and some fish may end up being mostly resistant.

Catching the gramma is going to be tough. I've had people kill fish from the stress of getting them out of a tank. In some instances, people find it easier to move the invertebrates out and just treat their DT with hypo.

Jay

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Doesn’t look like an advanced case if it is.
I would do nothing but carefully observe and just be ready if things go south.
Sometimes doing less, is more.

Back