Help diagnosing problem with clownfish gill

billygalaxy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, and thank you in advance for any diagnosis or advice.

My female clown appears to have one gill protruding a bit. Definitely not normal and does appear to cause her occasional discomfort.

Sorry for the poor quality photo, having a hard time getting any as she almost always has the opposite side facing the glass.

clowngill.png

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0

My female clown appears to have one gill protruding a bit. Definitely not normal and does appear to cause her occasional discomfort.

Sorry for the poor quality photo, having a hard time getting any as she almost always has the opposite side facing the glass.

clowngill.png
As you noticed, the pic is very dark and hard to work with and can be a few things such as injury, infection, heavy mucus as examples.
Need clear pic under white light intensity

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

clowngill.png

How recent of a development was this? Did it show up suddenly (implying injury) or has it had it for some time (possibly a developmental problem, very common in captive raised clownfish).

Only one gill being affected tends to rule out an external disease issue, that would more likely affect both gills equally.

Jay

OP
OP
billygalaxy

billygalaxy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is hard to say when it first showed up or if it is an injury. She is usually turned the opposite direction and don't really engage in any behavior that would lead to injury. It does seem to be bother her a bit (occasional head shaking).

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is hard to say when it first showed up or if it is an injury. She is usually turned the opposite direction and don't really engage in any behavior that would lead to injury. It does seem to be bother her a bit (occasional head shaking).

Well, sorry, there is no way to say then if this is an injury or a developmental issue. There isn't anything that can be done for developmental issues. For an injury, that would be caused by another fish (usually the other clownfish) so separating them would prevent further injury.

Jay

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 35 16.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 28 12.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 128 58.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 14 6.4%
Back