Help diagnosing white spot on coral beauty angelfish!

insanelogic

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All the water parameters are good, he’s been eating fine everyday for a year now and nothing seems wrong other than this white spot and I’d like to make sure it’s not anything too bad before it spreads if it will, I started treating with copper power, only half a dose but to do so I took my emerald crab out and put it in another tank, if anyone has any ideas on what this could be please let me know, his fin and head have also looked like that since the day I got him, it’s not fin rot, thanks!
55A263E9-23F8-4E48-8320-6661C79BD32E.jpeg
E46F29C0-89E5-48E8-8CD4-BB1F2424A281.jpeg

I took one in white light and one in the normal blue light

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,

How long has it had that spot? It is too large to be ich and too protruding to be flukes, besides, it is a fairly long term captive, so unless you recently added other animals to the tank (in the past two months?) then it is unlikely to be a parasite. It could be a disoldged scale or a minor bacterial infection.

Jay

OP
OP
insanelogic

insanelogic

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,

How long has it had that spot? It is too large to be ich and too protruding to be flukes, besides, it is a fairly long term captive, so unless you recently added other animals to the tank (in the past two months?) then it is unlikely to be a parasite. It could be a disoldged scale or a minor bacterial infection.

Jay
He got that spot either late yesterday or early this morning and yes, I added a clownfish, emerald crab which I had to take out to put the copper in which since it’s not ich probably won’t do much and a green clown goby early November so just at the tail end of 2 months

OP
OP
insanelogic

insanelogic

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,

Jay
Any idea what I should try treating it with? I also mixed up a water change so that will be ready day after tomorrow in case I have to remove copper faster to use another med that can’t go with copper

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it’s not ich are there any meds you’d recommend I use?
So - since you just added the clownfish, keeping copper in the tank is a good idea since you don’t know what that fish could have come n with. For the white spot n the angel, I’m thinking a minor infection. You can dose with a broad spectrum, gram negative antibiotic like Neoplex or Maracyn 2, but I’d wait another day or so to see if it goes away on its own.
Jay

OP
OP
insanelogic

insanelogic

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So - since you just added the clownfish, keeping copper in the tank is a good idea since you don’t know what that fish could have come n with. For the white spot n the angel, I’m thinking a minor infection. You can dose with a broad spectrum, gram negative antibiotic like Neoplex or Maracyn 2, but I’d wait another day or so to see if it goes away on its own.
Jay
Ok, I’ll do that, thank you so much!

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 70 44.6%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 73 46.5%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 14 8.9%
Back