Help! Don’t know what’s wrong with flame angel!

DalPal25

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got this Flame Angel on Friday. It’s my second flame in a year and the first one died within a week and this one is not looking so good. All other tank mates are doing fine and not picking at him at all. Any suggestions?

OP
OP
DalPal25

DalPal25

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Jeez. I can’t believe I forgot to post the pictures.
2d19986a29318946bc392dc2ce4ceeed.jpg
4de9ec540506eacbe64242e97eae908c.jpg

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got this Flame Angel on Friday. It’s my second flame in a year and the first one died within a week and this one is not looking so good. All other tank mates are doing fine and not picking at him at all. Any suggestions?
Any pictures? Are you running quarantine before adding them to the tank?

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

EmdeReef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is the fish inverted on its back or just a rotated pic? Does it struggle to stay afloat? Could be a swim bladder issue

OP
OP
DalPal25

DalPal25

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is the fish inverted on its back or just a rotated pic? Does it struggle to stay afloat? Could be a swim bladder issue

Yes the fish is upside down, the picture is not rotated. As far as swimming, it isn’t doing a lot of it. It’s breathing very heavily.

EmdeReef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That seems like a swim bladder issue to me, based on what you describe the fish is basically floating inverted. Spinal injury would cause a similar pattern of upside down swimming but the fish would not be inverted. Unfortunately, if it is a swim bladder issue there's not much that we can do. Some success deflating the bladder with a needle. I've also read some success stories where people fed boiled/canned green peas, but that would presume a fish that's already eating.

erky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have a hippo tang that im 99% sure has swim bladder disease that I do not know what to do with. same scenario with it laying on its side in my QT tank.

EmdeReef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have a hippo tang that im 99% sure has swim bladder disease that I do not know what to do with. same scenario with it laying on its side in my QT tank.

Laying on the side is common for stressed hippo tangs but could mean a few different things other than swim bladder. Any pics, other symptoms? Have you been treating the tank with anything?

erky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Laying on the side is common for stressed hippo tangs but could mean a few different things other than swim bladder. Any pics, other symptoms? Have you been treating the tank with anything?

do not want to get off track as this isnt my thread, but yeah been a month since i have noticed its issue, treated with Copper, then Eythromycan, slight improvements but nothing to id exactly what is wrong with the fish, that was the last issue i could think the fish could have. At what point do you stop dosing medicines and just let the fish live or dye, not to sound mean, but how i feel. I am going to try peas, but that will be the last "fix" i have left.

OP
OP
DalPal25

DalPal25

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That seems like a swim bladder issue to me, based on what you describe the fish is basically floating inverted. Spinal injury would cause a similar pattern of upside down swimming but the fish would not be inverted. Unfortunately, if it is a swim bladder issue there's not much that we can do. Some success deflating the bladder with a needle. I've also read some success stories where people fed boiled/canned green peas, but that would presume a fish that's already eating.

Thank you so much

Deinonych

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was the water in the bag and the water in your tank the same salinity

+1

Many LFS keep salinity lower than optimal (typically ~SG 1.017) to save costs on salt. If this was the case and you only acclimated for temperature, the fish could be in osmotic shock.

OP
OP
DalPal25

DalPal25

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1

Many LFS keep salinity lower than optimal (typically ~SG 1.017) to save costs on salt. If this was the case and you only acclimated for temperature, the fish could be in osmotic shock.

Okay so let’s say it wasn’t the same because I’m honestly not sure. What could I do about this? If anything?

Good trouble: Have mushrooms ever become pests in your aquarium?

• Mushrooms would never be pests even if they kept replicating.

Votes: 25 16.3%
  • Mushrooms have not become a pest for me.

Votes: 63 41.2%
  • Mushroom have become overgrown, but not to the point of becoming pests.

Votes: 22 14.4%
  • Mushrooms have become pests in my aquarium.

Votes: 35 22.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 5.2%
Back