Help dosing my nano

zchauvin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Ok guys quick stats -

10g Nuvo fusion with Kessil 160 set at about 40% intensity approximately 16" above water. Using ATO with rodi no kalk.

Corals -

"Fuzzy acro"
3 x acanthastrea
1 acanthophyllia
1 trachyphyllia
1 fungia tongue
Duncan colony
Blasto Colony

All tests done with Red Sea kit
Yesterday -
Alk - 10.6
Calcium - 440

Today -
Alk - 7.7
Calcium - 400

Do these numbers seem correct? I tested approximately 30 minutes after dosing yesterday and again approximately 24 hours later.

This is what the internet is showing - just want to make sure this is correct and ask how fast I can dose to bring these numbers up.

1c8de7e8f26355209dbcdc0982cfdc95.png

26880b344db346f13dd458b34936423c.jpg

Travis Stewart

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would wait a little longer to test so it can mix throughout the entire system.

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That looks like a big drop to me in both cal and alk for one day.
I used to use the Fusion and it does not take much compared to most other 2 part liquids.

If your sure that your alk and cal readings are correct you can use the seachem calculator to double check this one.
Stay within Seachem's max daily dose on the bottles.

During the time I was using fusion (with Apex-Dos pumps) my daily dose of their cal and alk was way closer to each other than yours.

For a small tank like your's I'd ride out kalk as long as I could with a ATO but... JMO

OP
OP
Z

zchauvin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
That looks like a big drop to me in both cal and alk for one day.
I used to use the Fusion and it does not take much compared to most other 2 part liquids.

If your sure that your alk and cal readings are correct you can use the seachem calculator to double check this one.
Stay within Seachem's max daily dose on the bottles.

During the time I was using fusion (with Apex-Dos pumps) my daily dose of their cal and alk was way closer to each other than yours.

For a small tank like your's I'd ride out kalk as long as I could but... JMO

Thanks, I've used Kalk in ATO before and didn't care for it so I'm not going to use this time around. I've been having an issue with stability because I'm trying to dose this accordingly and started out with what lfs suggested. To me, my numbers have been jumping around and nothing is consistent, add to that the fact of using lfs water with a Sg swing from 1.021-1.026 is difficult. I live on 3rd floor of an apartment and buying house this year so was trying to keep things simple but every time I tested water (lfs water and test) the values were low. Alk was at 6.4 and calcium under 400. Since then I've gotten it above 7 and in the 400s but it still swings too much for my liking.

OP
OP
Z

zchauvin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Also have been having issues with flowerpot not opening and slow recession on a trachy which is why I got concerned to start with.

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, I've used Kalk in ATO before and didn't care for it so I'm not going to use this time around. I've been having an issue with stability because I'm trying to dose this accordingly and started out with what lfs suggested. To me, my numbers have been jumping around and nothing is consistent, add to that the fact of using lfs water with a Sg swing from 1.021-1.026 is difficult. I live on 3rd floor of an apartment and buying house this year so was trying to keep things simple but every time I tested water (lfs water and test) the values were low. Alk was at 6.4 and calcium under 400. Since then I've gotten it above 7 and in the 400s but it still swings too much for my liking.
That's why I mix my own salt water. I you (lfs) SG is bouncing around so goes your tank with it and the Big-3.
If you can get everything stable then try the Red Sea ABC+ power. Easy to use and gives some awesome results.
It's made for small tanks but I'm holding 80 gallons and it's still balances out for myself. My DOS pumps have been sitting idle since last fall.

Also, A flower pot can be a tough coral to keep healthy.

OP
OP
Z

zchauvin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
That's why I mix my own salt water. I you (lfs) SG is bouncing around so goes your tank with it and the Big-3.
If you can get everything stable then try the Red Sea ABC+ power. Easy to use and gives some awesome results.
It's made for small tanks but I'm holding 80 gallons and it's still balances out for myself. My DOS pumps have been sitting idle since last fall.

Also, A flower pot can be a tough coral to keep healthy.

Ok thanks. I've come to the realization that I won't be able to depend on lfs and pre mixed water. I tried to get away with it but too bad. I'll pick up some salt tomorrow and start mixing my own water to 1.026 and test the levels at that salinity. I'd like to finish up this reef fusion as both bottles are nearly full.

And yes, my fiancé wanted it because it was red and "flowwy" so now I've gotta try to keep it alive.

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok thanks. I've come to the realization that I won't be able to depend on lfs and pre mixed water. I tried to get away with it but too bad. I'll pick up some salt tomorrow and start mixing my own water to 1.026 and test the levels at that salinity. I'd like to finish up this reef fusion as both bottles are nearly full.

And yes, my fiancé wanted it because it was red and "flowwy" so now I've gotta try to keep it alive.
Be sure to get a RODI unit if your going to mix your own salt. :)

Here's the ABC+ link.
http://www.redseafish.com/reef-care-program/reef_foundation_program/reef-foundation-abc/

Good Luck!!!!

OP
OP
Z

zchauvin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thanks man, I actually already have one just didn't want to hook it up in apartment. Will try to get it going in laundry.

Also, I've used coral pro before. Was thinking going IO this time. I'm guessing it doesn't really matter? I looked up "best salt" and all I found were opinions and arguments. With that said I'm going to assume that every salt is essentially the same and will blend differently from one batch to the other and to go with what I feel like buying and adjust levels?

Fitzreefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Salts will be different in the Alk level they mix up to. RS Coral Pro is like dKH 11 - 12. RS blue bucket is around 8 dKH. Aqua Forest Reef Salt is 7. If you have low nutrients, you will want to be on the lower end. Natural Sea Water is around 8.3.

Fitzreefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I shoot for 8 - 8.3 range. Stability is key. Always check your make up water and adjust to desired level before putting it in the tank. Also, double check the accuracy of your test kits. Buy another brand kit or have lfs check a sample of water that you have checked with your kit to verify results.

OP
OP
Z

zchauvin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Today 24hrs later

Calcium - 420
Alk - 8.1
Salinity - 1.023

Did not test Mag. Also, have not did a water change with a higher salinity, though double checking my refractometer (Red Sea) showed it was off a tad.

Everything including the new acropora is doing great with the exception of the trachyphyllia. It looks like crap.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 18 7.8%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 40 17.4%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 155 67.4%
  • Neither.

Votes: 11 4.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.6%
Back