[Help] Fan placement for best cooling

Rakie

NOTED TROUBLEMAKER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just ordered a nice little 110 CFM fan, and I'm wondering where the best place to put it is for maximum impact on temperature.

Display -- or -- Sump.

I'm also assuming best to be pointed directly at the water, just not sure which area will have a greater impact. Reef hit 83.3 today, so I'd like to get this down.

Mal11224

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a similar fan and I installed it to point at the surface of my DT at an angle to cool the water since that is where the most water volume is contained. It works for me. With your temp hitting 83.3, you may need something a little more effective. Either it is very warm where you are or your tank is surrounded by people :)

OP
OP
Rakie

Rakie

NOTED TROUBLEMAKER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a similar fan and I installed it to point at the surface of my DT at an angle to cool the water since that is where the most water volume is contained. It works for me. With your temp hitting 83.3, you may need something a little more effective. Either it is very warm where you are or your tank is surrounded by people :)

So Cal heat wave. And my house is OLD, and holds temperature... When it's hot like this, the house doesn't even have a chance to cool before the next hot day starts.

Mal11224

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had an idea you were on the West Coast. Although it is hot there, I envy the weather :)
Hopefully the fan works. Temp here has cooled a little so my heater is active now. Hopefully the fan works for you!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 13.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 7 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 70 56.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.3%
Back