Help fitting roller filter

  • Thread starter Thread starter mlivvy
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

mlivvy

Well-Known Member
View Badges
Joined
Sep 16, 2009
Messages
816
Reaction score
340
Location
RI
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 30" trigger ruby sump. I was going to try to fit a Reefmat 500 in there but went with the slightly smaller Reef Factory Medium roller. The design of this sump makes it difficult to fit a roller. I've come up with 2 possible ideas and would like some feedback.

Idea A- Place roller in middle chamber which fits OK but, the roller will drain in the middle chamber not leaving much flow going to the skimmer in the 1st chamber. I have a bean animal with 3 drains and I could open up the drain a little to the 1st chamber but I think it'll defeat the purpose of the roller.

Idea B- If possible, remove the sump baffle. I've removed baffles before from glass sumps but I don't even know if it can be done in an acrylic sump. This would probably be the best option if it can be done.

RUBY36S_MAIN.png


Thanks for the help!
 
Helped myself. :)
Heres what I did incase its searched.

cut off the brace.
IMG_1058.jpg


IMG_1059.jpg


Cut a square out of the baffle with a dremel and ran a 1" vinyl tube. I may swap this out for pvc.
IMG_1060.jpeg
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 6 4.3%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 10 7.2%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 26 18.7%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 47 33.8%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 0.7%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 10 7.2%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 10 7.2%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 20 14.4%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 9 6.5%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new