Help fixing plastic fiber canoe

  • Thread starter Thread starter Wiz
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

Wiz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Joined
Dec 1, 2014
Messages
4,317
Reaction score
2,639
Location
Allenstown nh
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys, I came across a plastic fiber canoe for $35. It has a leak at one end which the guy try to flex seal but is not sure that it is healed. For the price I figured it was worth a shot even if I lost out. Anybody on here have any suggestions on what I would use to seal a leak in this type of boat? I was thinking fiberglass like you would use for a car but I am not sure. Possibly epoxy or maybe even silicone who knows. Any help would be greatly appreciated

00g0g_Efh9Q2s2Bx_1200x900.jpg

00t0t_cIE6l9B2YPS_1200x900.jpg
 
I would glass it like a surfboard. Google 'surfboard glassing', get some fiberglass cloth and resin, sand the area you're patching and go to town.

You could seal with epoxy (let it cure so the off gassing doesn't blow out the FG) then add FG for strength.

Give me a shout if you decide to go this route and need more detail.
 
Hey guys, I came across a plastic fiber canoe for $35. It has a leak at one end which the guy try to flex seal but is not sure that it is healed. For the price I figured it was worth a shot even if I lost out. Anybody on here have any suggestions on what I would use to seal a leak in this type of boat? I was thinking fiberglass like you would use for a car but I am not sure. Possibly epoxy or maybe even silicone who knows. Any help would be greatly appreciated

00g0g_Efh9Q2s2Bx_1200x900.jpg

00t0t_cIE6l9B2YPS_1200x900.jpg
Ive used fiberglass mats (like you use on cars) on a canoe before, it worked well!!
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DO YOU USUALLY CHECK FIRST WHEN YOU LOOK AT YOUR REEF?

  • A particular fish I enjoy watching

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The fish population—making sure everyone is accounted for

    Votes: 1 11.1%
  • Coral extension, color, or growth

    Votes: 3 33.3%
  • Recent additions or other changes

    Votes: 1 11.1%
  • Water clarity or the surface

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Equipment and water movement

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Signs of algae, pests, or trouble

    Votes: 1 11.1%
  • I just enjoy the whole scene

    Votes: 1 11.1%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 2 22.2%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new