Help! Frustrated with ph again - should I be doing this?

jsweir

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been out for 15 years, remember always struggling with keeping ph up. Fast forward to now I have 3 40 breeders set up for QTs, fully cycled. 240 main display is still going together. Using RO/DI with fritz salt (blue box). PH is 7.5, tried putting it outside with a power head in it for 3 hours - only goes to 7.7. dKH is 8.7. QTs are simple aquarium only with hang on back and two have airstone/sponges. I have no way to get outside air efficiently into them and seriously doubt it will help much anyway. I can't run a scrubber except on the main and I really don't want to burn through media every week. Can't really dose kalkwasser yet because there is nothing in them to uptake and won't be able to run a fuge on the main until the tank has been running for a while and can support it. BTW - ph on my freshwater tanks sticks around 8.2.

Sadly at this point I wonder if I'm just trying to push something that can't happen. Huge investment, but I don't want to be irresponsible and kill a bunch of fish and coral.

Any suggestions would be appreciated - Scott

Last edited:

andrewey

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Scott,

What are you using to measure your pH? If it's a probe, when was the last time it was calibrated?

OP
OP
J

jsweir

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Using a seneye monitor - I've somewhat verified with a test strip that supposedly does marine as well as fresh, but I guess I should pick up a decent kit today. seneye doesn't have a calibration - I'll pick up a salifert today and report back.

Mattman1977

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Easy why to test your seneye is ph calibration like for a apex unit or Hanna checker. Both pretty cheap.

andrewey

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Using a seneye monitor - I've somewhat verified with a test strip that supposedly does marine as well as fresh, but I guess I should pick up a decent kit today. seneye doesn't have a calibration - I'll pick up a salifert today and report back.
I think that's a reasonable approach. Unfortunately, there are a range of activities and variables that can influence the seneye slide readings. It may be accurate or it may not be, but unfortunately without a way to calibrate or verify against a standard, both possibilities are on the table.

These are a couple of "low hanging fruit" items from seneye, but they are not exhaustive for when the seneye may read differently than a standard/calibrated pH probe:

OP
OP
J

jsweir

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, I may have learned a valuable lesson here - I think the seneye is way off in it's reading. Looks to me like the Salifert test shows somewhere in the 8's. That is a huge relief. Going to run the same test on the other 2 QTs and on some outside aerated water.
IMG_4267.JPG

andrewey

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glad you were able to figure it out! In general, I wouldn't put much weight in any device/test kit if you aren't able to compare the results to a known standard or calibrate the test. So long as the seneye is in line with a validated method, it's a good tool to use, but as you saw here, given the room for error, I wouldn't use it as your "gold standard".

I'd be interested to know what reading you get if you were to change out the slide.

OP
OP
J

jsweir

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Couple more tests - run on water aerated outside for 2 hours. Looks like the salifert is close to blue which would be >8.3 and the api high range looks like it's getting close to 8.4. Seneye reads 7.73 and is slowly going up a bit. You can offset the ph so I'll do that when I get the new slides.
IMG_4269.JPG
IMG_4270.JPG

Last edited:

andrewey

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those results are much more in line with what I would have predicted. Glad you got to the bottom of the issue!

tattooed reefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are 100 percent sure your test kits are correct you can change the trim reading on the seneye to show exactly the same as the test.

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 31 41.3%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 38 50.7%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 6 8.0%
Back