Help: HOB protein skimmer spilled onto wall

Peter Jason

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So the gunk from the protein skimmer spilled over and go on the wall and dripped down. Any suggestions or tips on how to clean it up?

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
So the gunk from the protein skimmer spilled over and go on the wall and dripped down. Any suggestions or tips on how to clean it up?

Can you tell us more about the wall? Is it painted? If so, do you know what type of paint (latex or enamel) and sheen (flat, eggshell, satin, etc.)?

If you're not sure of some of these answers, then can you tell us if you were to wipe down the wall with a lightly damp cloth would it leave a mark on the wall?

OP
OP
P

Peter Jason

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you tell us more about the wall? Is it painted? If so, do you know what type of paint (latex or enamel) and sheen (flat, eggshell, satin, etc.)?

If you're not sure of some of these answers, then can you tell us if you were to wipe down the wall with a lightly damp cloth would it leave a mark on the wall?

It is painted, textured, latex, flat. If we were to touch up with paint-- it's Behr Premium plus ultra matte/flat paint that we would use to touch up the area.

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
It is painted, textured, latex, flat. If we were to touch up with paint-- it's Behr Premium plus ultra matte/flat paint that we would use to touch up the area.

Based on your description of the paint, the finish on the wall is a little bit porous so most cleaning solutions won't work well and most any liquid solution will require paint touch up. I agree with @Hemmdog (and your original thoughts) that Magic Eraser is probably the best place to start. Depending on the smell and density of the skimmate that spattered there could also be a residual smell in addition to the visual mark so you may want to check that to see if that is a concern. Additionally, if it happened once it will likely happen again so keep that in the back of your mind. Good luck and let us know how it turns out!

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 101 43.9%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 78 33.9%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 37 16.1%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 12 5.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 0.9%
Back