Help! How to clean overflow tubing- clogged!

ajjw0828

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So woke up this morning to an alarm in my basement, went down and found clogged overflow on my refugium which spilled roughly 5-10 gallons of water on floor. Rushing to get to work, threw a few towels to clean up some of the water, turned dehumidifier on max and turned on floor blower fan to help. Turned off valve to refugium, threw heater and air stone in there for the fish. I have two one inch overflows drilled in here to help prevent this. Looks like both drains clogged somehow. Any tips for getting something in to clean out the tubing? There are 3 right angles in the flow so wondering what I could safely put in there to clean out. Hesitant to use metal but maybe not an issue if temporary?

JosephM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There’s this thing I use for my tuba, it’s called a snake brush. Hoping it’s not like a freaking rock in there and instead some build up, that brush could could through all the angles and do a nice scrubbing and it’s made for metal so it won’t wear down your PVC.

OP
OP
ajjw0828

ajjw0828

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There’s this thing I use for my tuba, it’s called a snake brush. Hoping it’s not like a freaking rock in there and instead some build up, that brush could could through all the angles and do a nice scrubbing and it’s made for metal so it won’t wear down your PVC.
Thanks for the advice. I will have to order one of these to have on hand. I Ended up just disassembling as much as I could and chaeto built up in one overflow and a fish I had got stuck in the other. My fault for not having strainers on my overflows. Fixed that now./

JosephM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the advice. I will have to order one of these to have on hand. I Ended up just disassembling as much as I could and chaeto built up in one overflow and a fish I had got stuck in the other. My fault for not having strainers on my overflows. Fixed that now./
Wow! I’m glad you got it fixed up though

Back