Help - How To Silent Loud Overflow Box?

Lou City Reefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone,

I need a little help with this issue I’m having.

Hey everyone quick question. This isn’t my first tank, but it is my first tank with a sump. I’ve got the gate valve pretty dialed in, just need a little adjustment, but the overflow is so freaking loud. Any advice how to silence it? I thought putting a gate balance on the main drain and adjusting that to where the water level was just below the top of the emergency overflow is how you did that?

It’s a 75 gallon tank w/a 20 gallon long sump and an Eshopps Eclipse (small) Overflow. Any advice to please help me silence this?

Video attached

F065A45A-1AF6-4F03-A92A-3C8B63D0CE7D.jpeg

Attachments

• 2844425-e783c1be9a0aa7e9a846bdac8b578e03.mov
    13.4 MB
Last edited:

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As I see it, the noise is from the water splashing into the inside overflow box as it falls from the top/weir. This really shouldn't happen and the only way to correct it is to somehow raise the water level in that inside box (or, as others have said, lower the weir).
It seems like the external box is too low which doesn't allow the internal box to fill high enough. You can see evidence of this by the fact that your tank water level is 1/2-1" below the expected water line.

If you can't reconfigure the outside box, a possible solution might be to add something to the inside of the internal box to break the fall of the water. Maybe attaching a strip of filter sponge right under the weir would lessen the noise. This would need to be a "tall" enough strip to cover the entire gap, so the bottom of the sponge is below the water.
You'd need to make the sponge removable for regular cleaning...

Upvote 0

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey! I just wanted to follow up on this! I cut a piece of PVC piping and replaced the emergency drain. The new pipe was roughly 1”-1.5” taller and it made it DEAD silent. I’m sure if you tried that but it’s worth a shot!
Ok, ignore my other post...
You found a way to allow the inside box to fill up higher :)

Upvote 0

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 21 34.4%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 15 24.6%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 8.2%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 8.2%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 14 23.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.6%
Back