HELP! I cannot indetify this coral

Dre619

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello All! I have a new coral which was given to me. The person I got it from had no idea what it is. No name or anything. Maybe you guys can help me out! Thank you

Unidentified.jpg

Reefing102

Metal Halides Til The End
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That pic is much better. I’m not as certain as the skeleton is throwing me off. I can tell you it’ll take some time to get healthier. It should be puffier at least during the day

OP
OP
D

Dre619

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That pic is much better. I’m not as certain as the skeleton is throwing me off. I can tell you it’ll take some time to get healthier. It should be puffier at least during the day
Thanks! Hopefully once it puffs up i can get some better pics and color. Hopefully get an id on it

JGT

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2nd pic has me thinking lobo as well. Distinct heads and spiky skeleton. Acans heads are more combined and not spiky.

OP
OP
D

Dre619

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dont think my lighting is quite strong enough for him. Have him placed in the sand bed for right now because if the low flow. I have a new light coming tomorrow, Hopefully that will urge him to perk up a little

MaxTremors

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 on sick blasto
IMO, the skeleton is way too big to be blastomussa, even a massive Wellsi has relatively small corallites compared to the size of the actual polyp, the septa also don’t protrude above the corallite. The color is also uncharacteristic of a blasto, and the separation between the mouth and outer rim of the polyp is uncharacteristic of blastomussa (the out polyp and mouth/inner polyp aren’t separated, blastos don’t have feeding tentacles that come out between the oral disc and outer polyp like a lobo, scoly, or acan). I’m not a taxonomist, and it can be really difficult to properly identify a sickly coral through photos, but IMO, all the clues point to a lobophyllia.

Here is a photo of Wellsi corallites from Corals of the World, notice that the septa don’t protrude up like they do in the OP’s photo, also notice the uniform round shape.
EC22067F-EE00-408E-A7F3-E48B00440C33.jpeg

Here is a coralife from Lobophyllia hemprichii (one of the more commonly kept lobos), also from CotW, notice how the septa are more jagged and protrude above the corallite:
0EC5203A-A3F2-41FF-8BE2-74871D34E52A.jpeg

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
looking any better yet ? opening and closing?

OP
OP
D

Dre619

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
looking any better yet ? opening and closing?
Nope! Same as last night. I have a feeling my light is not strong enough. I have all softies except this one and all other corals are doing just fine! Water parameters are stable. My alk is a little low so may have something to do it?

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 2 6.7%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 3 10.0%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 24 80.0%
  • Neither.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 3.3%
Back