Help. I have green stuffs everywhere

mBoN

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi. I have some green powder like stuffs coating my tank glass everyday. No matter if i clean it never stops going away. Comes and coats the glasses. Before i thought it was because of No3pOx dosing. And i stopped it for about a week now and no change has happened. The green matter keeps growing. You can notice the green stuff in the image attached
IMG_8481.jpeg

Court_Appointed_Hypeman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi. I have some green powder like stuffs coating my tank glass everyday. No matter if i clean it never stops going away. Comes and coats the glasses. Before i thought it was because of No3pOx dosing. And i stopped it for about a week now and no change has happened. The green matter keeps growing. You can notice the green stuff in the image attached
IMG_8481.jpeg
I've gone through phases of that in all of my tanks, it seems to stop after a while, sometimes it goes away and another species will take its place. There are powdery ones, filmy ones, crusty ones, probably others, different shades of green, sometimes other colors.

Just keep up with it, it's normal and it will eventually stop or slow down. It will never stay gone forever though, glass scraping is a common task.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
IMG_8481.jpeg
Looks like film and surface algae. Lights also appear high in white intensity

What is Phosphate level?
Are you adding any tap water to tank?
Is this tank at or near a window ?

OP
OP
mBoN

mBoN

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like film and surface algae. Lights also appear high in white intensity

What is Phosphate level?
Are you adding any tap water to tank?
Is this tank at or near a window ?
Yes you are right the tank is in my living room and it hits light from outside but not directly. Its right opposite where the window is. Never user tap water. I always use RODI water

OP
OP
mBoN

mBoN

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there any dosing or something to reduce it ? Like some medication?

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Yes you are right the tank is in my living room and it hits light from outside but not directly. Its right opposite where the window is. Never user tap water. I always use RODI water
It does not need direct but indirect light and UV from that light will cause this and the UV will penetrate shades and blinds and even curtains. Not sure in Sri Lanka what stationery your stores have but often applying Black construction paper to side of tank that faces window will reduce this issue. The algae in pic can be easily shaved off with edge of an old credit card or similar tool and netted up and discarded

OP
OP
mBoN

mBoN

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ah
It does not need direct but indirect light and UV from that light will cause this and the UV will penetrate shades and blinds and even curtains. Not sure in Sri Lanka what stationery your stores have but often applying Black construction paper to side of tank that faces window will reduce this issue. The algae in pic can be easily shaved off with edge of an old credit card or similar tool and netted up and discarded
if UV Light is the issue it maybe because of my light settings too. Let me use a curtain to cover up the windows and doors. Its not only on the sides but it also appears in the front. Thanks bro. You are great

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Ah

if UV Light is the issue it maybe because of my light settings too. Let me use a curtain to cover up the windows and doors. Its not only on the sides but it also appears in the front. Thanks bro. You are great
Not uv light from lighting but the UV associated with the sunlight coming in and approaching the tank

Tcook

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How old is this tank? Sand looks clean and new. Perhaps some age to the tank is sll that is needed. I would avoid adding things.

Timfish

Crusty Old Salt
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Noted. Will scrub off with paper towel then.

Watch the linked video if you can. You don't want to scrub it off but wipe it off gently then discard the paper towel. How much and how fast algae grows depends a lot on the system. It's expected in new imature systems and can vary in older mature systems depending in part on how fast corals are grwoing and competeing with the algae for nutrients.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 32 16.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 12.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 116 58.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 13 6.6%
Back