OP
JustAnt

JustAnt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks.

How would I find out what if I have metals?

I’m on good city water and I run a 6stage BRS RODI which gives me 0 TDS.

Lexatron Prime

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks.

How would I find out what if I have metals?

I’m on good city water and I run a 6stage BRS RODI which gives me 0 TDS.

A triton test. Will take a few weeks. Water changes will sort any water problems in the mean time.

You could have something polluting the water after you've made it, like a rusty screw? Or high aluminium from aluminium based phosphate removers. (Problems I've had)

Are you dosing anything.

Jimmy Long

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lower your nitrates, and get better lights. Two hydra 26s should bs sufficient for a reefer 250.

GrumpyAlison

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For what it's worth, I had a generic red monti digi that looked super sad in my systems (I tested 1 piece in 3 separate tanks :p) and about a month later, it got itself together and actually has a nice red color, I've come to the conclusion that it's usually not a terrible idea to just put something a position it *should* like and leave it there unless something is obviously wrong (like flesh being blown off from too much flow, etc).

Interestingly, the monti I mentioned is doing the best in a system that's only 3 months old and everything is covered in some kind of weird blue algae. Good luck with your dude!

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I find it odd that you have happy Red Planet, Birdsnest and Birds of Paradise while the Aussie Green slimer is struggling.

Are those three >3 months in your system? I ask because sometimes stress does not show -- until it does. Also, was there anything different about your acclimation on the slimer? Different dip process etc? Over time and experience, I have gotten very particular about the introduction process.

I largely agree with action plan, but remained puzzled by the health dichotomy across those four animals. Mysteries are part of what I love about the hobby though. Solve this puzzle before buying that homewrecker frag, OK?

Worst case, you just try again. I have a bit of it to spare if you are nearby. Please excuse my cleanup crew photo bombers.

Best wishes.

IMG-3874.JPG

OP
OP
JustAnt

JustAnt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I find it odd that you have happy Red Planet, Birdsnest and Birds of Paradise while the Aussie Green slimer is struggling.

Are those three >3 months in your system? I ask because sometimes stress does not show -- until it does. Also, was there anything different about your acclimation on the slimer? Different dip process etc? Over time and experience, I have gotten very particular about the introduction process.

I largely agree with action plan, but remained puzzled by the health dichotomy across those four animals. Mysteries are part of what I love about the hobby though. Solve this puzzle before buying that homewrecker frag, OK?

Worst case, you just try again. I have a bit of it to spare if you are nearby. Please excuse my cleanup crew photo bombers.

Best wishes.

IMG-3874.JPG

The healthy corals you mention are NOT > 3 months. They are all 3 still healthy though. (Other than my bicolor angel picking away at the red planet) I think I get what you are saying... since they are so new to the system they still may fail. They will succumb to the high nitrares or whatever problem I have.

What should my acclimation process be? Basically I temp acclimate, check for salinity to be close then place in middle of tank to c if it likes the light and adjust accordingly. I did this for all the coral.

Ya I think you need to ship me some of those nice slimmers.

Thanks

OP
OP
JustAnt

JustAnt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A triton test. Will take a few weeks. Water changes will sort any water problems in the mean time.

You could have something polluting the water after you've made it, like a rusty screw? Or high aluminium from aluminium based phosphate removers. (Problems I've had)

Are you dosing anything.
Appreciate your input. No rusty screws or anything similar near my RODI water.

For phosphate removal I use a little gfo mixed with Rox carbon in a reactor. So are you saying that could be giving me high aluminum?

I dose esv b ionic 2 part, magnesium, Fuel (amino acids), 2 drops iodine about every other week (and no I’m not testing for iodine.)

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The healthy corals you mention are NOT > 3 months. They are all 3 still healthy though. (Other than my bicolor angel picking away at the red planet) I think I get what you are saying... since they are so new to the system they still may fail. They will succumb to the high nitrares or whatever problem I have.

What should my acclimation process be? Basically I temp acclimate, check for salinity to be close then place in middle of tank to c if it likes the light and adjust accordingly. I did this for all the coral.

Ya I think you need to ship me some of those nice slimmers.

Thanks

I've killed my share of frags over the years. I continue to refine my selection acclimation process, but it goes something like this. Varies a bit (shipped vs local) because of how much stress I suppose they are under.

1) Know source water parameters. WWC, ASD, TSA, Divers Den, Jason Fox all make their parameters known. Fortunately, they are seemingly all converging to similar ranges. And I run my systems within those ranges.
1.025-1.026
78F
8 - 9.5 dkh
425-460 Ca
1300-1350 Mg
5-10 NO3
.03-.08 PO4

If the source is outside those ranges, risk of loss goes up. Think twice before buying anything expensive.

2) I always dip. If LFS, I will do it right away. If shipped (stressed), I temp acclimate, keep in low <200 PAR LPS frag system for a few days to let them de-stress, then inspect and Bayer dip. Same for "frag show" purchases, as I consider them stressed.

The point here is that I treat every frag like it has pests, but I am trying to let the frag adjust before I add more stress -- from dip, bright light, high flow. Once they have de-stressed and been dipped a few times over two weeks or so, they go into the SPS grow-out until I figure out how to stuff them into my display somewhere.

I live in 06840 so no shipping necessary.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 31.2%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 24.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 19.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 24.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back