Help! I think my canopy may weigh too much...

reefin_with_the_fam

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have a 150g tank and I built a canopy out of 2x4s and 1/2 plywood. I think it weighs about 80#. I’m concerned now that it is too heavy to sit on top of my 72” long tank. Thoughts?

Lorenzo Angotti

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you any Picts of your canopy, does it house your lights or is it just 1 piece that is stretched across your tank I’m just wandering if you are worried about the weight can it be split into two half’s so that they can slide together and meet in the middle.

OP
OP
reefin_with_the_fam

reefin_with_the_fam

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It runs along the entire rim of the tank. It’s a standard marine land 150 with a center brace so the wood follows all the rim and bracing. I think I may try to carve out some of the 2x4s just to put my fear to rest. I didn’t think it was gonna weigh as much as it turned out

Billdogg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The weight will be fine until you drop it! My first canopy for a 150 long (6x2x21) was made from 3/4" plywood and reinforced using 2" aluminum angle. I realized even before I put it on the it was way too heavy, but at least my 4' Undulated Moray never escaped again!!!. I'm guessing that it was north of #100. Every time I lifted the front up I was worried about it breaking my arm (or neck) if it fell.

When I made the canopy for my current 120DT, I used 3/4 cherry for the frame and 1/4" cherry ply for the panels. It is a much more reasonable #20 or so and is suspended from the wall in any case.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 76 35.3%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 7 3.3%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 58 27.0%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 66 30.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 3.7%
Back